1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatabilty with dvd players

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by danstarr, Mar 31, 2002.

1. danstarr

danstarr Member

I am making audio cds us cd-r music by maxwell. They work fine on standard cd players, but when I try using them on my sony dvd player it does not reconixe them. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do.

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

3. andavari

andavari Member

::: They work fine on standard cd players, but when I try using them on my sony dvd player it does not reconixe them. :::

I have a Sony DVD Player that is supposed to support CD-R however I have ran into alot of CD-R's that it will fuss about and refuse to play, such as the type with blue dye.

Also I believe in my experience that Home DVD Players do not have good error correction to mask errors which a standard CD player would playback without any noticable problems.

4. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

5. The_Mule

The_Mule Member

As we all know :) , the writer (and the write speed!), the media, and the reader all interact.

Plus, I would imagine that newer DVD players would have less problems then older.

In fact, Sony was among the last of the DVD manufacturers to add dual CD-R/CD-RW read capability.

I have a Pioneer DV-05, and have had amazingly no compatibility problems with using a USB Iomega 4x4x6 burner (1x, 2x, and 4x writes), a standalone HHB 830 burner, TDK (Ritek, the light green ones), Fuji (the blue ones), and Kodak Golds (all 80 min discs).

That actually surprised me! :)

6. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

It's not just a problem with more or less compatibility.
    CDRs are blue or green when viewed under white light, but they are transparent when lit with the infrared laser of a CD player.
    But DVD players, due to the groove being smaller, use a smaller wavelenght laser, that is red. Under this laser, CDR can't be read.

Therefore only the drives with dual laser (all DVD rom, but not all DVD players, it seems) can read CDR.
    As a side effect, DVD players unable to read CDR can read CDRW as well as CD players.

7. The_Mule

The_Mule Member

Jah: Pioneer DVD players have been "twin laser" for years. Sony's used to be a single laser.

8. Jotaro

Jotaro Guest

Or you should try Princo media, they usually work very well with Sony and other picky DVD players. That's why the VCD copy boys use them all the time! ;)

9. rotorhead

rotorhead Member

I can't recommend Princo blanks highly enough!!

I have an older Sony DVD player that isn't supposed to be CD-R compatible but music CD's burnt on Princo blanks play perfectly!!! The bonus is that that they're one of the cheaper blanks on the market!!

Last edited: May 31, 2002