1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatable Vid Card?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Raiten, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

I'm planning on builing a new computer for myself and i'm trying to do some research. I'm not too familiar in this area but i do know my fair share about computer hardware. I just wanted to know if an ASUS P5GDC-V Deluxe Mobo would be compatible with an EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Graphics Card. The card says it needs either a 4X or 8X AGP Slot, but no where in the specs of the mobo can i find if it's compliant or not.

If these 2 are not compatible i am willing to change the mobo, so if there is any suggestions i am open to them. Please keep in mind i'm on a budget and can't spend TOO much on these parts.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

it has onboard video & has pci/e in place of agp

3. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2004
  4. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Shoot, well i guess i'll for sure have to look for another one. I was looking at the DFI LanParty PRO875B Mobo, lots of extras and has an AGP slot so i think i'll get this one. Still compatible with P4 with HT Tech.

5. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

6. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Thanks for all the info, but i decided to get the DFI LanParty mobo. I have another question/dillema though, i want to get a GeForce 6800 graphics card, but i don't know whether i want to get the 6800 or the 6800GT. Each one looks great, but i don't know if i should save up a bit more and get the GT or settle with the 6800. Oh and i'm getting the prices from newegg.com, if anyone knows of a site or place that i can get them cheaper please let me know.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what are you going to use pc for, gaming, video editing or what. what is difference between the 2 cards without me looking for them

8. Divinus

Divinus Guest

The two cards have a small performance difference unless you're a super gamer and jack up the resolution to 1600x1200 and run it with AA/AF maxed.

If you do like running games with those insane settings, you should really get the 6800GT. If you run in say... 1024x768 with no or very little AA/AF i'd just get the 6800. In most benchmarks with lower resoltutions and the AA/AF turned down the 6800 is only a few FPS behind the 6800GT

9. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Cool thanks. I play games mostly, Farcry, Doom 3 are the major graphics killers. But i play WoW a majority of the time and that game is pretty graphics intense for a MMORPG, i get about 20FPS at the MOST on my Ti4600, i run it at 1280x1024, no AA or AF since it can't really handle it. I think i'll just get the 6800 card then. Thanks for the input.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-202&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-203&depa=1

These are the 2 cards and their differences.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  10. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Wow, you should get honestly like a 400% increase on the old Ti series. My 9700 dominated that series and that was what? 2... 3 years ago?