1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete Newbbei Needs Help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by grace101, Jan 22, 2005.

1. grace101

grace101 Member

As you can see I am a complete Newbbie and the information here is just mind boggling. So much so that I have found myself lost in it.
    I have a gateway AMD 650Mhz. processor, 100Mhz. External bus, 640 Mhz Ram, 30Gb hard drive with about 20Gb free, 2 internal Memorex double layer dual =/- format drives.
    In software I have the Nero Smart Start that came with the Memorex drives, DVD X Copy and DVD Shrink. I have checked and the Patin Coulfine Engine VSO driver is loaded in the device manager of my system. This must be the remains from Win 98 but I have upgraded to Win XP. For media I have the Maxell DVD-R 4.7 Gb/ 2 hrs. that I purchased at Staples.
    My DVD X Copy would not even read the DVDs until I upgrade at this web site. DVD X Copy will now read but not burn the DVD to a back-up. DVD Shrink will read and burn the back-up DVD but the DVDs will then not play in either the DaeWoo or the Toshiba DVD players.
    I have tried reading the messages in these forums but I keep getting lost in all of the technical language. Could someone please help me?
    Thank you,

2. hursty

hursty Active member

shrink,alone will not burn dvd.it has no burn engine??
    so what you have done is impossible.
    you must have burnt with nero.check your settings.
    try downloaded dvd decrypter(free) and burn with that.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Grace,Try burning some + format maxell's. Rule of thumb:eek:ld stand alone players "-" dash format. Newer stand alone players "+" plus format.

Also, a slower burn speed may help.

You could try some rw's,however stand alone players have a harder time reading them.

How do those backups look when you play them on your pc? The driver that burned it should be able to play it ok.

How fast are you trying to burn?

The specs on your pc are pretty low,but they are higher than my backup pc and it has no problem,just a little slower.

4. grace101

grace101 Member

Thank You.
    The enable Nero oprion was checked so that is what is burning the DVD.
    Also the only +R that I have is a Memorex that came with the drives. I'll try both formats to test and check out the DVD Decrypter program.

5. CapnHowdy

CapnHowdy Guest

Grace hi...im also a virgin here, but thanks to this guys i've accomplished things far out for doing them myself. ok, first off, if your dvd-rw drive came with a dvd+r disc, it might be because you will only be able to record only on +format dvdr's...you wont be able to write on -format dvdr's...and if you do it wont be able to play correctly on any dvd player be it new or old...believe me, i've wasted a lot of money trying and discovering these things...i've been ripping and burning for four years now, first cd's...now dvd's...and i have a near 500 backups myself...i recommend checking your dvd-rw drive's specifications first and go from there...step by step...that just my two cents worth, hope it helps you...

6. hursty

hursty Active member

you can use nero info tool to scan your drives which will tell you exactly what type media you can use

7. grace101

grace101 Member

I checked the specs and it is supposed to do everything but stand on it's head. ;)

Ran Nero Tools, results:

Will not read DVD-RAM

Will not write DVD-RAM or Mount Rainer?

One interesting thing is that it says that no ASPI is loaded. Is this needed?
    Thanks,

8. colw

colw Active member

Yes - an ASPI layer is required for communication purposes.

Type ASPI in search box at top of page to locate and download.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

grace 101,
    Go into nero "get system info" then click on the ASPI tab. The box at the bottom needs to be green for both system and nero ASPI layors.

BTW job well done providing us with system specs, software, and media used. Too bad more were not like you.

You can also do agoogle search for either Force ASPI drivers or Adaptec ASPI drivers. Both are free.

10. grace101

grace101 Member

I downloaded Force ASPI (which is basically Adaptec) and ASPIchk. Unzipped and ran exec file to install. Then I:
    1 ran dumpASPI
    2 ran installASPI
    3 rebooted system - hard boot
    4 ran ASPIchk
    5 ran Nero Smart Start tools to verify both the system and the program
    6 Tried both DVDShrink, DVD X Copy, Nero Smart Start and playing original DVD movie on computer.
    7 Uninstalling InCD (I read to do this somewhere) - no option to do so.
    Nothing works. ;)
    Other resident programs shown on task bar:
    Norton's AntiVirus
    Zone Alarm
    Real Player 7Plus
    InCD
    Also since I have the Nero Smart Start would it be wise to upgrade to the Nero Burning ROM v6.6.0.6? Perhaps this would give me the option to uninstall the InCD.
    I figure my problem has to be in my software.
    Anyway I appreciate all of the help so far.
    Thanks,

11. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

To uninstall InCD, use the Control Panel applet "Add/Remove Software" in the computer's "Control Panel."

12. grace101

grace101 Member

The only option available in the add/remove section is to completely remove Nero Smat Start completely.
    Thanks Anyway