1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete Newbie...Any help appreciated!!

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by mabester, Aug 14, 2007.

1. mabester

mabester Member

Hi, drunkenly in the pub the other day I bought a Marantz SR-5300 6.1 Channels Receiver, which is all well and good except I haven't got a clue where to start with what gear to get for it. I've been using a bog standard Home cinema cinema system for the past 2 years, which has servrd me well. DoI just plug my existing surround speakers and player into the receiver or are a new set of speakers req'd etc. Sorry for sounding so dim but haven't a clue. Any advice would be most helpful!!

2. JVC

JVC Active member

As long as the speakers can handle the power of the receiver, they should work fine, unless they use special color coded connectors, that won't work with the new receiver.

I'm not familiar with a "bog standard Home cinema cinema system", so don't know the kind of connections it has. You'll need to use digital coax or optical cable from dvd player, to receiver, for 5.1/6.1 surround audio from dvds. Same, for anything with digital outputs.

3. mabester

mabester Member

Cheers JVC, after looking into it, the speakers wouldn't have been able to handle it and would have ended up costing me a small fortune to get up to an average setup. Managed to sell it on at the same price, so save my 'proper' home cinema experience for another time!

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate

4. po43292

po43292 Regular member

When you do decide to go get a new system, remember that the most important part is the speakers. Don't skimp on them. Buy the best you can *that sounds good to you*. You'll probably want a good sub too. Don't listen to salesmen especially at chain stores!

5. mabester

mabester Member

Cheers po43292 I'll bear that in mind when I get the cash together and talk the mrs round!

6. po43292

po43292 Regular member

7. mabester

mabester Member

Cheers again mate, will definitely bear that in mind!