1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completing Incomplete downloads between different filesharing programs

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by thorstef, Mar 27, 2004.

1. thorstef

thorstef Member

Hi,
    I'm very sure all of you have experienced the fraustration of downloading a file, with only a few sources available. If for some reason those few sources disappear as in Shareaza, or Emule the download stays incomplete.
    If those file sources have gone onto some other filesharing network the downloads may never be completed.
    How nice would it be to have some type of universal
    downloader that is able to complete downloads from different networks?
    A small example;
    I found a file on Kaza.
    Completed 40% of 230 MB after 6 days.
    1 source no longer available
    Goto shareaza
    Same file.3 sources.Get in the q
    Complete 60% after 10 days
    For some unknown reason it never completes

16 days wasted on downloading the same file twice with no result. Why can't I merge the 2 files with some software and make 1?
    If any programmer reads this, you have the beginnings of your next shareware product

2. gotisos

gotisos Guest

oops misread ur post

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2004
  3. spideymac

spideymac Guest

So in otherwords, if you don't have 100% of the file, it is useless? In K-lite in complete files could be closed and used as is. Can this be done with e-Mule incomplete files? and where are they kept? I can find the small xx.part.met file but can't find the bulk of the partially transfered remainder. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

4. thorstef

thorstef Member

The basic point is that we have an strong file sharing community that is able to address and solve problems like this. I am very sure that there are plenty of capable programming brains on this board that could easily write a utility to convert "incompletes" to and from different programs.
    Shareaza accepts partial emule downloads, so why not emule, filetopia or soulseek or winmx accept each others incompletes and just continue where the other stopped?
    It would defnitely give a boost to all programs involved, and a big bonus to users.
    Who would care if the source disappears from X, finish your download in Y.
    All you proramming brains out there, flex your muscles and show us how fast you can do it!