1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component and VGA cable hacking

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by MisterH, Dec 4, 2006.

1. MisterH

MisterH Member

I have a DVD player that upscales DVDs to 720p, it has Component and HDMI out both of which are useless to me because I only have a CRT TV and a 21" CRT monitor.

So I tried looking for adaptors and convertors from Component and HDMI to VGA all of which were way too expensive so I think i've come up with a cheaper solution.

The Xbox 360 has component and VGA cables available for it, so I thought why not buy the Xbox 360 component cable and the 360 VGA cable, cut the ends that plug into the 360 off and join all the wires.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this will work.

2. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

First, where are you trying to plug this DVD player into? The CRT t.v. or Monitor? Is the set HD capable? Second, you should know that while component and VGA are both analog, they are not necessarily compatible. So, to try to hook one type of conector to another type of connector cannot be done without some sort of conversion. Third, most DVD players will only upconvert through DVI or HDMI, and no you can't just buy adapters and get component to HDMI. Save your money on the Xbox cables.

3. kurian2z5

kurian2z5 Member

VGA requires extra signals about resolution etc...which will not come from connecting one end of the cables to Component output...
    The VGA signal is analog...but the format is different...the monitor will not detect component signal..

HDMI is not analog so its out of the question..

you MUST but a converter.

4. MisterH

MisterH Member

What I wanted to do was cut the Xbox end of the cables off and join the wires inside, you know match the colours

5. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

The problem is VGA carries different info than component. They cannot be simply spliced together without some type of conversion. It would be like trying to plug a table lamp into a car lighter. Although you could splice the wires together, you would probably fry the lamp and bulb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

""VGA connectors" and their associated cabling are almost always used solely to carry analog component RGBHV (red - green - blue - horizontal sync - vertical sync) video signals along with DDC2 digital clock and data."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_cable
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

"An alternative type of componentization does not use R,G,B components but rather a colorless component, termed luminance combined with one or more color-carrying components, termed chrominance, that give only color information. Multiple chrominance channels allow for more precision and speed in mapping the RGB colour space. This componentization scheme is a transformation (in some cases linear, in others not) of the sRGB color space. This type of signal is usually what is meant when people talk of component video today. The most common variant, the Component Video port found on many consumer DVD players, plasma displays, video projectors and the like, uses the YPbPr format of color coding."

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  6. JCDPJ

JCDPJ Member

i dont know if it would be possible to splice these together, but it would be very expensive and theres the risk that it wouldnt even work. then youd be stuck with ruined cables. you need to go ebay and search for "projector cable". it shouldnt take you long to find a COMPONENT TO VGA ADAPTER CABLE and it will be cheap! im not sure, though, if your displays will support the dvd player output. i have a 1024x768 native projector and use this type of cable to display simple 480i resolution. hope this helps.

7. JCDPJ

JCDPJ Member

one other thing... alot of these upconverting dvd players will only upconvert through the hdmi cable. many wont through component, so check your product manual before you buy a cable. it has something to do with copy protection. good luck.