1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component or hdmi

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by missing30, Mar 4, 2007.

1. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

When I first connected the TV to Cox DVR Box, I did it thru the component cable that Cox gave me (5Male RCA plugs on each end-3 video and L-R Audio). Connected that way I could (had to) change the cable box channel with cable remote. So when I replaced component with HDMI cable, I got picture and audio as planned. But now I had to change the Volume with the TV Remote because as you said the audio output was constant from the cable box (I couldn't change volume with cable remote-only with TV remote. Since the cable remote has all the TV guide menus and DVR controls I figured I'd be using its remote for everything. And I can if connected thru component. Comprende?

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

What I am saying is that your cable box remote should allow you to set it up so that it's volume buttons control the tv's volume and not the cable box output (like the TV remote). There is no reason to have to swap remotes.

-Ceddie Ced

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@diablos

That's what I'm saying the cable remote will adjust the volume for output audio from the box connected with component cables , but it has no effect on the volume if connected to TV with HDMI. The cable remote is only capable of turning the TV on and off. It cannot do anything else to my Samsung LCD but that. No volume or change channels if on antenna, or any menu adjustments. I would have also thought that the cable remote could adjust the cable box output from the HDMI connection, but no!

I have also programed my Samsung remote and it won't do anything with the motorola box. I can't even turn the box off much less change a channel or open the gude menus. And I've gone thru all the codes fromm 000-074. There is no way to use just one remote.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That sucks. I have been out with the installer that works in our store to help lift a plasma or something like that many times. No matter if it is HD DirecTV or Time Warner Cable HD we are always able to get at least the Power and Volume for the TV working on the set top box remote. Maybe your box don't offer this feature but it would seem like a big disadvantage for you, as their customer, as this functionality is available to many others.

Time Warner in my area uses Scientific Atlanta boxes. I have never had a problem with the remote not working with those (Friends, Family, and Customers considered).

Ced

5. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

To answer this, you should definitely go with the digital out (coax) from the cable box to the receiver vs the L/R out. Even if you decide to use the component cables. Just turn off the speakers on the T.V. The coax digital will pass up to 5.1 audio on your system vs. L/R 2 channel audio which will only allow psuedo surround i.e. pro-logic, or PLx.

6. missing30

missing30 Member

@ChiknLitl
    Thanks