1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component to HDMI/VGA/DVI?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Niper555, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Niper555

Niper555 Member

Hey guys, I want to get the Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR to record some Xbox 360 gameplay, but the PVR only has component outputs to the TV. The problem with that is that the TV (technically a monitor) I have only has HDMI and VGA inputs (and an HDMI to DVI cord). So I'm wondering what the best way to convert component video and audio to either HDMI, VGA, or DVI would be, and yes I know that HDMI is the only one that supports audio, but at this point it doesn't matter. Thanks in advance.

2. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

VGA offers much lower quality. HDMI 1.3 and DVI will pretty much offer the same video quality. But since DVI doesn't include audio, make it simpler on yourself and get a component to HDMI cable/converter. You'll keep your quality and you won't have to worry about not having audio. Just getting a component to hdmi cable is probably cheaper than buying a converter (+ hdmi cable, + component cable).

Something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/HDMI-5-RCA-Audio...375?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230770e07f

3. Niper555

Niper555 Member

Thanks for the reply. If I'm not mistaken, component video/audio is an analog signal, whereas HDMI is a digital one. My monitor (Hanns.G HH241HPB) does accept analog signals, but in the form of a VGA cable. So I am skeptical about running an analog signal into a digital input, unless my monitor can switch it or convert it. I am not an expert so I don't know if that will happen or if it'll work just fine, but I may just have to invest in one and find out.