1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Composite vs. S-Video & Cable Quality

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by AlexJel, Nov 9, 2009.

1. AlexJel

AlexJel Member

I plan on copying some of my VHS tapes to my computer so I can safely store the tapes and I was wondering if anyone out there had pictures of normal VHS tapes being played on an S-VHS VCR through composite cables vs. the same tape & player through S-Video cables. I'm curious about the quality difference. While I have seen pictures of comparisons of video games, I would like to see it of tapes on an S-VHS VCR.

Also, I currently have a good, sturdy S-Video cable I have that I plan on using, but are all these gold-plated hydrogen/magic injected cables worth the extra money?

Thanks!

2. videobruce

videobruce Member

The issues is not the cable, it's the difference between composite and S-video. "S" as in separate, not 'super'.

Less processing. The Y and C portions of the video signal stay separate. Even though they were combined in the composite mode (regular VHS), keeping them separate may help the finished result.

AFor the most part, S-VHS should have a better transport, at least the older decks over the cheaper, run of the mill VHS.