1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compress Program

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by Danycacks, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Danycacks

Danycacks Regular member

does anyone know of a program that that is free and it can compress photos.also if u know of one that isnt free is fine but i prefer a free one.thanks

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

There is already one in XP. Not all files can be compressed more that what they already are. Most pic files are already compressed so they wont further compress. but zipping a bunch togeather is an easy way to transfer many at once even though the size wont be much smaller.

-Del

3. petermart

petermart Member

In actual fact Jpegs can be compressed quite a lot, but you do lose more and more detail as they get smaller and smaller.
    I use one called XAT which I got free of charge on the front of a magazine years ago.
    This is an excellent piece of software which can compress pics using a very good method by which large areas of colour without fine detail can be compressed more than areas of fine detail.
    As an added bonus this has the effect of reducing noise on some photos very well.
    this is the site to download the Image Optimizer as it is called:

Image Optimizer

You can try it free for 30 days but after that you can still use it with some of the facilities disabled.
    Just click on "Image Optimizer" at the site and it will download easily.
    Hope this helps you.