1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compressing audio cds

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jep1, Mar 1, 2005.

1. jep1

jep1 Guest

I have borrowed the audiobook Fellowship of the Ring on cd. I want to make a copy for myself. The problem is , is that it is on 17 discs. Is there any way I can compress this to fit on fewer cds(prefferably 1) I would like to take in the car where I have a 6 disc changer. Could this be compressed to fit on 6 discs or could I make more room by lessening the bit rate and if so how?

If anyone could help, it would be appreciated.
    Thank You -jep

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

if your cd changer in your car only plays regular audio CDs, than no, they can't be compressed to allow longer playtime. the PCM format for audio CDs can't really be modified. they do make 90 minute CDRs (try allmediaoutlet.com) or, you could buy yourself a cheap portable mp3 cd player for like $30, and plug it into your car stereo. If you do that, then you could compress the CDs to mp3 (use EAC, we have a guide here explaining how) and since its an audiobook CD with just vocals you could use low bitrate, and easily fit many hours onto one mp3 data CD.

3. gamename

gamename Regular member

what djscoop said must be true.iactually got 8 cds on one disc using this. the only problem is the only thing i could get to play it was on computers.they probably do make stereos that play them.i just dont have one.some of these guys on this site have some pretty nice equipment.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah most new car stereos and home dvd players will play mp3 cds