1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

compressing audio files?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mixwell, Nov 8, 2007.

1. mixwell

mixwell Guest

I am wondering if there is a way to compress a book on CD so I can burn them but put them on fewer CDs than the set originally came with. Any way to change a regular .wav file to an mp3 format? any programs? someone told me I-Tunes can do it, but they always come out to 80 mins, they never reduce the size of the files--or does this NOT work as compressing a film's file size would?

2. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

The duration will still be 80 minutes regardless of format. The filesize of MP3 audio books can be as small as about 5% of the WAV (CD audio) version of the same, allowing 20 CDs to be compressed to one. Many CD players can play MP3 CDs and if yours can, I'd recommend CDEx to convert your audio books. You can then burn the MP3s as a data disk with your favorite burning software or even Windows built in CD burner. Set up CDEx to name the output files sequentially and they will play in proper order on your MP3 playing CD player. I have a couple of 20 hour audio book disks that even had room for a couple of music albums on them.