1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compressing .avi files?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Deciever, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Deciever

Deciever Member

Ok im fairly new to burning downloaded files off the net, so far ive only done 2 or 3. But this file i recently downloaded, i went to encode using TMPGEnc Plus, but its saying the file will go way over the 4.7GB limit even though the .avi file is the same size as the previous ones, this one even on the lowest possible settings wont fit on a single DVD-R so i was wondering if i can just compress it to fit without losing to much quality or would i have to put it on 2 disks?

Thanks in advance.......

2. acbm3

acbm3 Member

I'm having the same problem i have 30 films and have succesfully recorded half but the rest go into the red with tmpgenc when i lower the bitrate setting it records fine and fits but the result is no sound. Someone said virtual dub to compress the audio but i cant find an oline guide on how to step by step.

can any one help us

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Not sure but I think the Audio is the source of your frustrations.
    Things that you D/L, you never know what the hell you're getting, but the audio especially could be this or that...
    TMPGEnc likes to do its own audio compression, from a fullsized (uncompressed) WAV file.
    So whatever your source, you must split it (demux) into video and audio, then decompress the audio into WAV.
    This is same as LPCM audio found on some DVDs.
    Then point TMPGEnc at the video source, and the WAV audio source, and let it encode both of them itself.
    You can extract the audio from an AVI using VirtualDub or (better) VDubMod or (best) NanDub.
    You can then decompress the audio to WAV using something like CDex
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/cd-da_extractors/cdex.cfm
    Let us know if this helps you guys,
    Regards