1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

compressing file with win rar.

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by cincyrob, Jan 23, 2007.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im wanting to compress the movies i have ripped to my HD.. i have winrar. i am trying to compress some moveis with this program. but it seems to be takeing a long time. is this normal or am i doing something wrong??

2. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

are u HEAVILY compressing it? If so, for a 700 mb rip, it should take 5 mins or so

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

not sure how much it is compressing in just set it for normal. but it didnt compress much. it is s 2.20 gb movie file and it took about a hour 20 mins. and it is now in the rar form but is still 1.96gb. so it didnt compress much

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

It won't. Winrar, winzip, and the other compression programs are not magic shrinkers. Data which is already pretty compressed such as divx avis, jpeg images, mp3s etc will not compress much more. The main use of WinRAR with divx AVI material is to make split sets for uploading to usenet etc along with PAR redundancy sets. You might as well use the 'store' setting in Winrar, as you will not get much compression.

The other reason to store AVI material in RAR archives is with a password so your mom can't see just exactly what er - movies you have been downloading :)

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Sorry duplicated post.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thanks for the info indochine..
    i was fooling around with it a bit and found that doing it in the store mod was the best and fastest way of doing it... i guess it really isnt what im looking for.. i was wanting to compress it more so it dont take up much space on my HD(granted i do have 250gb hd).
    was just playing around with something to see what all it does...i dont plan on uploading anything on any of those sites so i just got ride of the rar files i did have