1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compressing files help needed

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by KimP, Mar 7, 2003.

1. KimP

KimP Member

I'm new to all of this, but maybe someone can tell me what I need to use to compress MPEG files. I thought that MPEG's were compressed from another form of file, but evidently not. I try to send a short clip to someone via email, and it's too big to send. I don't have enough room to store the clips on my host/server, so what do I need to do to compress these files? I'm trying to build a website for an entertainer, and I would like to include some clips of their performance. Maybe I should use MPEG files in case people have webtv or something where they can't access Quicktime or Real Player. Any help would be greatly appreciated for this newbie!

KimP

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

If you are putting them on web pages then i suggest that you use avi insteadand you can use Windows Movie Maker to do that for you. MPEG compression has a whole different meaning to what you were thinking!

3. KimP

KimP Member

Thanks, Dela, I'll do just what you said!

4. Dela

There is probably better solutions but thats just the easiest!! lol

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Yup, avi (divx) is your best best route to go by far!

Shoey

6. Dela

I wouldn't be divx at all actually. This is to be compressed to stream over the web and Windows Movie Maker is great for that purpose!!