1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression necessary for burning to Dual Layer?

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by jwnulife, Dec 15, 2007.

1. jwnulife

jwnulife Member

Have a question about DVD2One. I am attempting to burn a 4 hour film on to a dual layer disc but I think the size of the film is slightly beyond the capacity of the dual layer disc itself (slightly over the 8.6 gigs or whatever is standard for DL). So I have no choice but to compress the film slightly so that it fits right? If so, how to I get around the option where DVD2One automatically defaults the compression output to fit a standard 4.6 single layer dvd? Is there a way have it output to dual layer capacity? I don't want to compress it THAT much because it would produce a very poor quality film!

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Choose "DVD-9" as your target output size....I'm not sitting in front of my PC and don't have access to the program to tell you exactly where you will find this option so just look around.

3. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Use dvd shrink if possible in custom size mode if possible and burn with imgburn , free from www.imgburn.com

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If it is slightly over the limit, you should be able to remove some audio traks for example, like the DTS that is probably close to 500mb, and any foreign languages that you don't care about, and you might not need to compress at all.

5. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Follow Cyprus's advice. If it's only a couple of 100 meg over the limit, then getting rid of subtitles, unnecessary audio tracks (Eg: Director's Commentary) and extras should do the trick.

If you just want to compress the video and keep everything intact, then use DVDShrink and set the target output to DVD9 and that should do it.

6. osteotome

osteotome Guest

What happened to the OP ? Did the OP get the problem solved ?

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Why go to Shrink? DVD2One is a good, mature program that can easily accomplish what the OP wants to do.

Look in Settings:

[​IMG]

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Why revive threads that are 1 year old? Just curious...
    And now to answer your question...some specific reason, mostly personal preference. Never used DVD2one, so don't know if it has the capability to remove subtitles, audio tracks, credits... As solid as it might be, I bet it cannot beat DVD Shrink. DVD2one it is not free. Some people might not be aware of DVD Shrink and try to "acquire" a key, when in fact there's no reason to do so.

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

LOL, didn't notice, picked it off the main page I think.

But this is the DVD2one forum... whether it's free makes no difference if folks using it need help.

Oh well.

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

True enough...probably didn't even notice what forum the thread was in, the first time I answered...

Anyhow, if anyone wants to pay for a software or bother "finding" one that can do exactly what a very good free DVD Shrink can do, cannot help. Not familiar with it, and this time not even curious to try it just for fun.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009