1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression questions...

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by ericbee, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

Just wondering how do you know if the software is ACTUALLY compressing the data? I mean some of these titles are way over with all of the extras and subtitles but, when stripped out you don't really know if the movie and a single soundtrak would actually fit without any compression, so how do you know if it is compressing at all.

I ask this because it segways into my next question. If you compress 10% or less is there any way to actually see the decrease in PQ even on a 100 inch projection screen? I am aware that if you compress a large movie to fit onto a single disc the compression would decreas PQ, especially noticeable on a large screen. However, a movie that runs over by 2-10 minutes that is compressed minimally..can ANYONE see the difference between this minute compression and no compression.

Thanks.

2. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

Come on guys, is this site just to post questions or does anyone have any answers? There are a dozen unanswered posts on here that if I could answer I would. How about helping some of us out?

3. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Yes there is a way of seeing if the movie has been compressed. If the resulting files add up to exactly 4.36GB, then it has been compresses (although you can't know by how much) and if it is less, then the stripped streams have reduced it enough to fit on the DVD-R without compression.

Technically a purist will say that any compression results in loss of quality. I have to say that I have done some tests on a high resolution Fujitsu Plasma and not been able to notice sigificantly poorer quality.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2003