1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

compression

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by andy112, Jan 30, 2005.

1. andy112

andy112 Member

Does anyone know of any avi or mpeg file compressors?? I need one because tmpg encoder wont let me encode a movie and it says that the file is to big and wont let me continue.

2. andy112

andy112 Member

anyone???

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

There are no mpeg compressor. Mpeg is highly standard. Instead, an AVI codec is needed, oy ou might have immense files. The best codecs are DivX and Xvid (which has also the adventage to be free!).
    Any codec has a 'profile' which is applied to the kind of movie you're trying to compress. The best profiles are 'Home Theater' for DivX and 'AS @ L5' for Xvid, which enable you to compress DVD movies. A smaller profile (Portable or AS @ L3) is for VCD.
    As far, it's just your necessiry (high quality or small files? multipess is the best, but needs two runs: the 1st to scan the movie, the 2nd to compress it. Otherwise on 1-pass you use the maximum bitrate you choose (and reach movie quality/size up to a DVD movie: 4.5 GB!).
    But is's strange. TMPGenc should encode into mpegs (-1: VCD, -2: SVCD), not into AVIs. In this case, install all the codec I listed. The DECoder part of the codec is free and having it is a must.