1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer and HDTV requirments

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ardee, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Ardee

Ardee Member

Hopefully I posted this in the right forum. If not someone will either move it or delete the thread. I've been looking around the forums trying to find a straight forward answer so I am gonna post it here and hopefully get a straight forward answer.

I am looking to watch downloaded HD files(ex.HD-Xvid)on my HDTV. I will tell you what I currently have and how my comp is connected to my hdtv at the moment and if you tell me what program, video card, ect. is needed in order to get HD quality.

TV: Sony Wega that supports 720p and is HDTV ready, HDMI
    Current Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
    Current Connection: S-Video
    Current Media Players: Windows Media Player11, Divx6
    Computer Specs: 2.66GHZ Pentium 4, 1GB RAM, 400GB Hard Drive

I have been researching this for a little while hoping i wasn't going to have to post a thread, but wasn't really getting any straight forward answers, like I said. If someone will just basically say, get this video card or you need a video card that has HDTV support, here is a link of one you should look at. Or you will need this program in order to watch HD files from your computer. Or your computer isn't good enough to run hd files. After you get all of that you will need to connect with a HDMI cable ect. whatever it is let me know, I just want to know exactly what it is I need to do to be able to play hd content from my caomputer. Thanks

2. Ardee

Ardee Member

Seriously know one has a single answer for this?

3. error5

error5 Regular member

Your video card is what I would say on the very low end by today's standards and is likely outdated at this point. Solution - upgrade to a newer video card with DVI output. If you want to stay with NVIDIA one of the GeForce 6 or 7 series with DVI output should do. Example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143020

Forget about S-Video. You need to connect to your HDTV using the DVI output of the video card to the HDMI input of the set. There are numerous cables out there that have DVI on one end and HDMI on the other:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1023102&p_id=2218&seq=1&format=2&style=

Your CPU and RAM could be sufficient to play HD files but I have no personal experience on machines less than 3.0 GHz. Anyone have any ideas?

Added: I just called up a friend of mine who says he has no problems playing WMV-HD files and high-def TS files on a 2.4GHz P4, 1 Gig RAM, and an ATI Radeon 9600 PRO connected to his 32" 720p HDTV using the above-mentioned DVI to HDMI cable.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  4. Ardee

Ardee Member

Awesome! Thank you for your help.