1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer beeping at startup

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by natalie15, Mar 14, 2005.

1. natalie15

natalie15 Guest

I am having a problem. I have a basic HP computer (not too old but I got in in 2002 or so) with the operating system being Windows XP. Last night I was trying to instal an ethernet card so I had the side panel taken off the computer. It was SO dusty on the inside so I began trying to clear some of the dust. In the process, I accidentaly unpluged a cord makred "cpu board" that was plugged into the mother board. I immediately plugged it back in thinking no rarm would be done. Well, when I went to restart my computer, it beeped several times and the monitor is idle (blank) and the keyboard is getting no power. I have checked all connections. The monitor is getting power, it just idles as soon as the computer turns on and starts beeping. HP is of course no help. From what I can find out on their support site, my system ROM may be bad now. Is this bad?...I am pretty computer savvy but this is out of my hands. HELP someone...!!!!!

2. haimback

haimback Regular member

The beeps are telling you what is wrong with your system,get a hold of your motherboard manuel and it will tell you what the beeps mean e.g. three short beeps is a graphic card problem.

You could also try booting system with just the minimum hardware then add one piece at a time - may be the new card.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

reseat that cpu card & all other cards as you have dislodged 1(cpu card) so might have dislodged others without knowing

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

natalie15

I would also see if there is a manual online showing where all connections go on your MB. If a plug is off by one pin, it could possible cause something similar as to what you are speaking about. Just because you feel you put it back right might not always be the case. You should also get a compressed can of air and clean out your PC a bit better to see the MotherBoard markings better.