1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Crashed..Virus?

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by fastkart8, Nov 26, 2005.

1. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

Ok, well to start with it is up and running now. but i need to know why this would happen.

first it started getting very sluggish. starting freezing up, and when i would reboot it would take 5 minutes to finish loading everything up before it would stop making all these noises inside the computer. the other night my mother started up the computer and said it was making funny noises inside the tower (which i have heard) and it froze on her so she just turned it off. when the next time for it to be turned on it said 'boot from cd' so they waited until i got home to mess with it.

well i got home yesterday and it would say boot from cd.

my restore disc is on a dvd. and my dvd rom went bad. so i went and bought a dvd rom drive and put it in, got it booted from a cd and took it back. it said it would erase all my memory and everything, but it didnt.

my question is, how come it was making all these noises? and also, how come it didnt erase everything like it said?.. any help is appreciated.

oh yeah, i am using a emachine. which i bought about a year and a half ago. model number w2925. windows xp home edition.

thanks alot!

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

If the machine is asking for the boot up disc it means that it cannot find your HD to boot from. Sounds like your HD is on the way out, this could be why the computer is making funny noises.
    If you get another HD you may still be able to recover the info from your old HD before it dies completely.
    I would be looking for a new HD as a matter of urgency.

3. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

Well damn. how much does a hard drive cost? i have a 120gb hd. 256mb of ram.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Where are you based? Newegg seems to be good for the states, I use overclockers & e-buyer for spares. I'm in the UK BTW.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  5. Bird7

Bird7 Regular member

i think the going rate is like 50 cents per gig. so a good 160GB will costabout 100 w/ tax

6. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

im in the states. north carolina. so 120 gigs. about 60 bucks?

7. Bird7

Bird7 Regular member

well be real thats just a number you have to look at them. o shoot i thinks its a buck a gig sorry about that. but the higher you go(gigabites) the cheaper they are. i got a 160 for like 180 with taxes in canada so a 120GB US probably about 130 with tax. or you could find cheaper

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

@ fastcart8, have you had a look on the internet yet?