1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer crashes when playing mpegs.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by falch69, Oct 17, 2004.

1. falch69

falch69 Member

My computer will not play any video files including dvd's, other than .avi, in any player, other than divx player, without crashing. I am pretty sure it's a problem with some codecs but i do not know which ones and I'm not sure how to find out which ones. If anyone knows what codecs could be responsilbe for this or knows how to find out which ones then please help me. thanks

2. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

You need to give more information, e.g. which formats won't play (mpeg2 e.g.) using which programs (windvd, etc.). also some basics about your hardware setup would be helpful.

3. falch69

falch69 Member

Every mpeg format will not play. If the video ends in .mpg it doesn't work. As for which programs give me problems, every known program i could find including media player and windvd will cause problems. However quicktime is able to play mpeg 1 files. system specs are:
    AMD 64 3400+
    ATI Radeon 9700
    1 Gb ram
    Windows XP Pro. SP2

4. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

There used to be a lot of hacked DivX codecs floating around. Since it's the only one that works for you you can remove it and see if that's the problem for the other programs. If you could play movies once but now cannot then the thing to look at is how has your configuration changed. It sounds, however, like it might be a hardware problem - e.g. bad memory or video card compatibility problems or even your motherboard chipset drivers - since it's happening with every video program (except divx). Make sure all your drivers are up to date - including Via or whoever makes your mb chipset - and find out if there is a firmware update for your DVD player from the manufacturer. If you can, test your DVD player on another machine. SP2 can also be problematic. Good luck.