1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer crashes

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by glse, Mar 25, 2005.

1. glse

glse Member

my computer regularly turn its self off.the error that comes up is (os ver 5-1-2600) which as far as i can work out is netmeeting.the microsoft window that opens says this is the ofending programme. is this a common problem or can it be fixed..helppppp??

2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

The only thing i can say about this run anti-virus software and/or anti spyware.

3. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey glse,

It sounds like a problem with the build of the OS that you are using.

You may want to run a program called REGISTRY MECHANIC. You can get it at PCWORLD.COM

It is really easy to use, and you will be surprised to find out what is going on with you pc.

But see if you can get that program and use it before it shuts you down quickly again. Also, you might have to reinstall the OS just or find a good copy of it.

Also, like p4_tt said, run all your diagnostics programs, including your AV and spyware/adware programs.

That should help you get your problem fixed.

Hope this helps!

;)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

glse

If that is what it says then remove net meeting, reboot and try that. If that doesn't work then do a re-install of windows and see if that corrects the problems. What Service Packs are you running?

5. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey...ScubaBud,

This is alittle off the subject in a way, but what do you honestly think of the SP2.

I had it before I revamped my OS to XP Pro, and really don't see any use in it.

But what's your personal opinion on it?

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

That's a loaded question here on aD!

Let's just say that I have SP2 on ALL 4 of my machines and not one problem. But I also have the latest equipment for the most part with the oldest processor as an Intel 2.26 with 512 PC800 Rambus memory. The newest is in my sig. I have old W95 programs and even some dos programs from 1992 that work fine on my machines. I normally don't use them, but I go back once and a while to reminisce. One is a data base program that I wrote or should say modified way back when and still have items listed in its files.

Bottom line to me is this:
    Would you use Dos programs today?
    Would you use Windows 3.1.1 today?
    Would you use Windows 95 today?
    Would you use Windows 98 today?
    Would you use Windows 98se today?
    Would you use Windows ME today?
    Would you use Windows XP today?
    Would you use Windows XP sp1 today?

Some people are in love with older versions of Windows, and rightfully so if they work fine for them and also for their hardware. But I don’t like to look back when it comes to my machines, I just like to reminisce.

See where I’m going with this. Time will not rewind, so why wait is what I say, but then again, each to their own.

7. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Thanks ScubaBud...

That information is great!

It was just weird how alot of people made some remarks concerning sp2 and so forth about the pros and cons of it all.

;)

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

One very important thing to remember is aD has over 300,000 members, so what constitutes [bold]a lot of members?[/bold]

9. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

I guess anything over 100 in my book!

;)

Hhhmm, I don't know what constitutes as alot of members. I guess there really isn't an answer to that question.

10. glse

glse Member

thanks heeps but have already tried registry mechanic,and every time i go to delete netmeeting it wont let me as it is being used by another programe. unable to work out which one though?this has got me totally stuffed, normally can eventually work these things out but not this one though?????

11. ozy

ozy Regular member

why not try using regsupreme 1.2 and if that doesn't work unistall any windows updates and service packs and do a repair from your windows disk (if you have it).

12. glse

glse Member

thanks ozy tried regsupreme 1.2 has worked so far thanks heeeeeeeps for help mucho appreciated