1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer crashing after installing cd-rw

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Vger, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Vger

Vger Member

I have just installed a Benq cd-rw, with Nero 5.5 software on a Pentium 2mmx cpu computer, running windows 98se. Now, I cannot access My Computer at all, if I try the computer just freezes. Basically I can't even get into the control panel to uninstall the Nero software. If anyone has had this problem and knows of a solution I'd be very pleased to know the answer! Many Thanks - Vger

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Is that nero compatible with '98? It's just that '98 was renowned for being very unstable. I believe it was just a stopgap until win200 came in. Have you thought of getting XP? I hate to say it, but it is a lot more stable than '98 and installing software etc. seems to be reasonably painless. (He says with tongue in cheek!)

3. Vger

Vger Member

Win 98 first edition was very unstable, Win98 second edition is much more stable. Win 2000 never really took off, only a few percent of people us Win2k. Upgrading OS is not really an option, as this is for my back-up computer, my main computer is new, and runs on Win XP. It's a shame that Win XP has this 'activation' code thing, else I'd install it onto the old computer as well! Vger.

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well this isn't true m8 as many people I know prefer Win2k Pro over WinXP.

Well you still need a 25 digit OEM code to register Win 98&Win98SE. To answer your question. Are you sure you have the "jumper" settings correct? IDE cables fastened firmly on the mobo and BenQ burner? Installed SP's for Win98 SE? ASPI layer conflicts?
    I would recommend Nero 5.x for Win98SE m8 or try a free burning application called burnatonce 0.99b and see if you still have the same trouble(s).

burnatonce 0.99b http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/
    ASPI:
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2fProduct%2fASPI-4.70&prodkey=ASPI-4.70

Shoey :)

5. Vger

Vger Member

Actually, one of the problems was Nero 5.5. After installing Nero 6 one of the problems was resolved. The other problem was that the Control Panel Settings for the cd drive were not set to dma mode. Once I had booted in Safe Mode and was actually able to get into the Control Panel the problem was solved. Many thanks for taking the time to reply. All the best - Vger

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Hmmm... This is indeed perplexing. I run nero5.5 with XP pro, it works a treat! I have had no problems at all. I do, however, only use it for burning music files. I prefer it to nero6 (I just don't like 6's interface) I use dvdx platinum for dvd back up, that also works a treat. Using both programs, the end result is that I burn very, very few coasters. I've found experimenting is the key.

7. Vger

Vger Member

Not denying for one minute that Win 2k isn't a better operating system - just saying that it never really took off the way Win98 did. I guess that Win 95 was so bad that when Win98 came out people upgraded, and didn't want to upgrade again when Win2K came out. Also Win2K is more expensive, and not that easily available. Most computer shops don't even stock it! With regard to Nero 5.5 - we've recently installed x3 new cd-rw's. Two came with Nero 5.5 disks and one with Nero 6. We had to replace the installs of 5.5 with installs of 6.0 because we had problms with both versions of 5.5. May just be a Win XP Home thing! Anyway, all sorted now, Sorry for not replying earlier, but couldn't access this forum yesterday (not the first time). Vger

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

HUH?????

1. Windows2000 is far superior is W98 in every way, shape and form. Whether you want pretty, sleek, cute, cool, simple, powerful, secure, whatever. Hands down.

2. W98SE, while an improvement over W98 is still crap for an OS.

Thats probably because Nero5.5 didnt have your burner recognized in its database.

1. ALmost NO stores stock 98 (in fact I think MS discontinued it and it would be illegal to sell it).
    2. $80 for W98, $120 for WXP -- as far as software and reliability goes it's far cheaper to get W2K.
    3. W2K for an addition $40 has security holes. W98 doesnt have any holes --- that's because it has to HAVE security to start with in order to have holes.

Thats because there was no marketing done for W2K. W98 was marketed as a user friendly out of the box solution for people who used their computers to play games, type a letter here and there and essentially do jack with their computers. W98 was made for the home consumer.

W2K however was designed for the workplace i.e., big companies and schools. Big companies and schools have fancy well paid technical IT people who dont need advertising to find out about W2K and they knew to upgrade all their systems right away. That's why if you goto any major firm you will find W2K somewhere (or WXP or WK3). W2K was made for professionals first and foremost, consumer power-users heard about it and they too rushed off to get it.

WXP learned from the mistakes of 2K and MS SPECIFICALLY developed a cute, pretty, userfirendly, out of the box version of their OS for consumers. Their primary product was WXP Pro which was aimed at the workplace/schools. They removed a bunch of features and presto you have WXP Home.

See my rant on Nero 5.5 above.

Probably.

If you read absolutely nothing about what ive just said and skipped to the last line:
    Read my rant on Nero 5.5 above :)