1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Crashing - Need help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by TheFear, May 21, 2006.

1. TheFear

TheFear Member

For a long time now, I have been experiencing unexpected computer crashes (all of a sudden computer restarts), that usually happen when I load my computer heavily with tasks. Sometimes I can run many programs and games and it works fine, but sometimes my computer crashes when I'm not doing much. There are times when it crashes(restarts), and crashes again after it restarts from the previous crash, causing consecutive crashes. When I boot up my computer after the crash, I get the "Windows has recovered from a serious error...send error report?"
    I send the error report and get this site all the time.
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=c03cf2e5-af89-4cad-8b74-594dd4b36b6f&SID=10

Apparently I have that unsalvageable Windows Stop Error. It says there's a device driver problem, possibly from new hardware, but the thing is, I got this computer about 3 years ago, and the crashes started happening at the second year, but I have never upgraded any piece of hardware the whole time.

I have also noticed another trend in the crashes, it is when I am encoding video files to burn into a DVD. When I'm using dvd shrink or nero and I am encoding files for a DVD, the CPU usage is at 100% the whole time, which causes my computer to crash at about 30% of the encoding process. Is this a CPU problem? I hope there's a way I can fix it, because I'd hate to have to replace the most expensive part.

With my limited knowledge of the situation, I have come up with a few possible solutions that I'm not sure will work:

1 ) Replace the Hard Drive. I mean, it IS a Windows problem with the Windows Stop Error isn't it? If I replace the hard drive, and get a new Windows CD, would that solve the problem?

2 ) Replace the CPU. This is the one I am praying I don't have to do, because it costs a lot of $$$$. Might as well randomly replace pieces of hardware until I get it right..

3 ) New computer. Possibly the solution that is alomost 100% effective! Unfortunately this solution is not possible in my situation.

There ARE things that I have the means to achieve at the moment, such as adding more RAM, which I will try sometime this week.

At last, here are my computer stats:

Intel P4 2.40 GHz
    One stick of 512mb PC3200 Ram
    ASUS P4S800 Motherboard
    Western Digital 80 GB Hard Drive
    256mb ATI Radeon 9200 SE Video Card
    D-Link DWL-520+ Wireless Card
    350-Watt Power Supply
    CD-RW / DVD-ROM drive
    DVD-RW drive
    Standard Floppy Drive

With the information, stories, and situation given, I really hope someone can do a diagnostic on what the problem is, and I will try to fix it. Thanks in advance for any problem-solving information you may have.

2. trgrpullr

trgrpullr Regular member

probably overheating. When was the last time you cleaned out the inside of your case and all the vents, heatsinks, etc.?

3. TheFear

TheFear Member

Well my computer keeps a good temperature all the time. My PSU used to heat up excessively all the time, but then I got my CPU fan replaced, and that cooled the PSU down. Now, heat is not much of a problem. Is there another possible hypothesis of the problem considering the trends ?(crashing when at 100% cpu usage, and crashing when it's loaded heavily with tasks)

4. big_wes

big_wes Member

I have the Same problem when im using DVD decrypter, im burning an image and when it gets to somewhere around 30% it restarts

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is your avaiable ram at in task manager when computer crashes?

6. TheFear

TheFear Member

I have this "RAM Idle LE" program that displays my available ram and cpu usage on my tray at the bottom of the screen. When encoding for DVD, my ram stays at around 200-250 mb of available ram, but at 100% cpu usage all the time, then crashes. When playing games, my ram gets as low as 20-30 mb available to as high as 100-120 mb available, yet it even crashes at 100-120 mb available.

**A bit of info I accidentally left out of my first post: I am using Windows XP with SP2

7. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Try a re-install of Windows.

8. TheFear

TheFear Member

dolphin2: I have tried a re-installation of Windows quite a few times before already, and it ended up with the same outcome, with crashing by the activities listed in my first post. What are the possible solutions for the Windows crashing problem?

big_wes: I have noticed that when I burn discs, the RAM availability goes down, because burning something takes RAM. If you have a crashing problem while burning something, then it may be a shortage of RAM.

9. ddp

10. TheFear

TheFear Member

I used that Windows Memory Diagnostic, and it says that all 512 mb of my RAM is working fine. Any other suggestions? What I'm really worried about is my CPU. Because I can replace stuff like hard drive, PSU, mobo, etc, but that would be useless if the problem was in the CPU. The crashes happen when the CPU is at 100%. Would that be a CPU problem, or something else caused it?

11. ddp

how loaded is the hd?

12. TheFear

TheFear Member

My hard drive (3 partitions: NTFS, NTFS, FAT32)has 26 GB remaining out of 80 GB.

13. trgrpullr

trgrpullr Regular member

Do you have a known, good PSU you could try out. 350 watts should be plenty for that system, but bad, dying PSU's can cause crashes. Sorry, that's all I can think of if your temps and memory are good.

14. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

First of all getting a new windows Cd will not help so dont bother dishing out for that.

Secondly a good old format and re-installation of windows should do the trick.

If not then:

Clean your case
    Check for dodgy parts (Put in some new ram see what happens)
    Get a new PSU if you had problems before it may be sadly dying!

If it then doesnt work then probably the best way to go would be to sadly get a new comp.

15. ddp

lecsiy, i see you have my trade mark in your sig "teach & learn". good

16. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Just a thought..check the power cables very carefully..I had a comp that did this all the time and it was eventually traced to a bad extension Y splitter making intermittent contact...another was caused by a dvd drive that eventually one day just died altogether.. It's hardware related, but maybe not in any way we can imagine..Take the whole thing apart and rebuild checking every cable..and don't bother sending MS error reports..they get about 400,000,000 a day because of the rubbish software they make.. lol [​IMG]

17. ddp

also look at the can shaped objects that are capacitors on the motherboard. are supposed to be flat topped not domed or slightly domed.

18. fuggedup

fuggedup Member

well my 2cents
    remove RAM Idle LE, ram optimization programs are a sure fire way to crash any OS... i have used the same one this system with 2gig ddr 333mhz ram and crashed once or twice..

use compressed air to blow out all fins on heatsinks, inside the power supply, on the ram, hard drive, fans, and any other place dust can rest.

another question.. have you ever removed, moved, twisted, the hitsink on the CPU? if you have that could be a big big problem for heat.
    when you get a heatsink they put this junky thermal resin on it.. if it gets moved it crumbles and then the cpu will heat up more then it should be.

another idea is that you should check your BIOS to see what safty temp shut off is.. could be set to low.

if all this does not help you then i would say your powersupply is on its last leg. and you should replace it with a 400w or 500w.
    power supplys are never what they say they are.. thats a max output, like a speaker would be rated at 500w but RMS is maybe 200w to 300w

19. TheFear

TheFear Member

I have checked my Can-shaped Capacitors and they all have a flat top.

About the CPU and heatsink, when I got the Fan + Heatsink, it came with a pack of "thermal grease" or something, and I just applied it over the surface of the CPU. I then put the Fan + Heatsink right on top of it and fastened it on. If I open up my heatsink + fan, and there's a bit of a mess, should I clean it up?

About the new PSU, I think I might get an ATX case with the PSU included. Is this a good idea? Also, I understand that an ATX case requires a 90-degree rotation of the motherboard, could that be easily done? Or should I just go with a normal PSU?

20. fuggedup

fuggedup Member

i would just snag a psu.. if it dont fix the issue, all you have to do is take it back and get a refund

by mess on the cpu do you mean you have thermal past all over the cpu?
    if so clean it off as best as you can.. also dont recomend touching it with your bare hands.
    then put a fresh coat of past on it and keep it thin so you dont get it everywhere but make sure the metal is all covered on the raised part that touches the heatsink