1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Dead....

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LDee, Jan 13, 2007.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello

I've been trying to set up a computer all night but there's no display. I've got a p4 3ghz from an old system, I cleaned it and reapplied thermal paste and I've put it in a new asrock p4i65g mboard. The only other components in at the mo is the ram and graphics. I get no display and no beeps at all. I have tried plugging the monitor into the onboard vga, same thing. I have made sure that the extra power connector is plugged in also, the little square four pin one. The power supply powers up another pc fine so i dont think its that.

I don't know what to do, AARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EDIT: I should have been clearer. It does power on but no display to monitor and no beeps but the fans turn.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try clearing the cmos & make certain cmos jumper is in correct position.

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that now, same situation.

4. ddp

reseat ram. try board outside of case as might be a grounding problem.

5. skidme

skidme Guest

I was having the same problem, and I followed a person's suggestion to reset the CMOS, which worked. You should follow ddp's advice

6. skidme

skidme Guest

woops sorry, didn't see the last 2 posts...heh

7. skidme

skidme Guest

Are your ram and gfx card brand new? If they're from another computer, and they worked in it, I see no reason for them to stop working now. There's a chance that you got a DOA motherboard.

8. LDee

LDee Regular member

I reseated the ram, same situation. Took it out and I'm getting 3 long beeps continuously, so looks like the beeps are ok.

Don't have time to take it out of the case now but will when I get home tonight so I'll see what's happening then.

Ram, graphics and mboard are brand new. I'll also test the cpu in another mboard when I get home.

9. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

if the parts are brand new was you careful taking them out the box??

because touching the connectors underneath the Graphics Card can short it out with the static in your body!!!

To stop this wipe your hands against something that isnt going to give static electricity to your body then handle the parts ... so in other words check the parts individually (not all at the same time) in another computer and report back to us :)

EDIT : The static applies to any component not just VGA card

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  10. ddp

as long as you have touched the metal case than static is discharged

11. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

Take everything out, start from the very first thing, Motherboard should work with just the CPU installed. Then slowly add in things until the problem arises. But if the problem is there with just the motherboard and CPU then maybe one of those things are toast.

12. LDee

LDee Regular member

Sorry I took so long to respond, have been busy with studies and couldn't test the system until today.

I put the CPU and RAM into a different mboard (using ALL the same components as with the new board, except the board itself obviously). It worked, I got a display and went into the bios. CPU temp = 39 C, mboard temp = 16.

Does this confirm that the mboard is busted? It's brand new but I guess it could be faulty, I bought it from eBuyer and I've heard a lot (relatively) of their boards arrive doa.

Please reply and let me know what you think.

Cheers.

EDIT: I have also tried the new board out of the case with both onboard and agp graphics, doesn't work, same as before. Strange thing is the monitor doesn't really come out of stand by mode (the power light continues blinking and doesn't stay on like when it's got a proper signal), but when I turn the system off the monitor displays its message that it's going into power save mode (basically, stand by). This is weird because no signal reached the monitor in the first place or so it seems but it does detect when the mboard is powered down. Perhaps this further goes to show that the mboard is faulty?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  13. ddp

send it back for replacement or refund as you have gone thru normal tests & the fact components off that board work on another shows you have a dead board.

14. LDee

LDee Regular member

Will do, thanks ddp.

15. ddp

no problem, teach & learn