1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer freezes....Help!!!! Please!!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by moon22man, Feb 12, 2007.

1. moon22man

moon22man Member

I've been working on this computer for about 2 weeks now. I'm not a computer wiz but I do know how to put computers together. The computer is an old Dell Optiplex GX110 SSF. I know it's old but hey it was free. The problem I'm having is the computer keeps on freezing up. It won't load in windows. I thought maybe the hard drive, I put it in another computer and works fine. Then I thought maybe the motherboard. I bought a working used one and installed it. I was actually able to get windows to boot up and was working fine for a couple of hours. I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows so I could start out fresh. I ended up getting all of that done and reinstalled the drivers needed and desired software. I turned it off and started it up the next day...it froze on startup again. I restarted it and loaded up fine. The next day again I restarted and froze up on startup. I thought maybe a hardware problem. So I disconnected everything except mouse, keyboard, and hard drive. Still froze up. I disconnected the hard drive and the darn thing still freezes up. It will let me go into the bios but as I'm just moving arrows on the keyboard navagating through it freezes. Could it be the processor? Or maybe I got a bad motherboard? I need help and would appreciate any assistance!!

2. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

I had the same prob a few years back. My prob was my videocard kept overheating. So to test it, I took off the side panels, and put a box fan to it. It lasted longer but I ended up just buying a new videocard. Also, make sure machine is dust free.

3. moon22man

moon22man Member

Video card is integrated in the motherboard. This is the second motherboard. I wouldn't think that would be overheating in both. Plus I would imagine it would take a little bit to overheat and then lock up. This does it right from the get go whether it's been 2 minutes or 24 hours. It always takes like 30 seconds or less to freeze. The computer is dust free. Thank you for your help but I don't think that's the problem.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

see if can get into the bios what the cpu temp is. is the cpu slot or socket? is the cpu fan working properly?

5. moon22man

moon22man Member

I can get to the Bios screen but there isn't anything there that tells me the CPU temp. The CPU fan seems to be working fine. It is a Pentium 3 733Mhz 370 socket processor. Thanks for the help. I know I can get another processor fairly cheap, but I just wanna make sure that's what it is so I'm not nichel and dimed to death trying to get it working.

6. moon22man

moon22man Member

Thanks for your help but it was the processor!!