1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer freezes when encoding with nero

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by idiot44, Jan 19, 2008.

1. idiot44

idiot44 Guest

i am running windows xp pro.i have used nero for years with no problems.but aout a week ago,when trying to convert mpg,avi,or any format to vcd(my stand alone dvd player connected to my tv only plays dvd and vcd)about an hour to 90 minutes,my entire computer freezes.the local network light on my dsl modem even goes off.there is no way to unfreeze it but turn the computer off.i thought it might be a cpu problem,but i've ran many cpu testing programs and none of them froze my computer.i've tried un-installing and re-installing nero,trying different versions of nero,but none of that helps.im using nero7 at the moment.any help anyone could give me would be most welcome,thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Are you saying it only happens when converting to VCD?
    If you convert to DVD it doesn't happen?

If it happens with conversion to DVD, switch to another conversion program to test.

3. idiot44

idiot44 Guest

it happens no matter which format i'm trying to convert to.i can burn cd's fine,but i can't encode without a total computer freeze occuring

4. 1bonehead

1bonehead Guest

Try system restore.

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Transcoding/encoding/converting is CPU intensive. While burning, your RAM is in demand, the CPU not as much. Open the case and make sure your fans are running properly, clean off the dust. It could be that your CPU is overheating. Your power supply might not be adequate.

6. idiot44

idiot44 Guest

well,i used a program called"toast"which pretty much tortures your cpu to see if overheating or cpu is causing the freezes.i ran it 3 hours and my computer never froze,and as i have stated my computer usually freezes in an hour to 90 minutes when encoding with nero.but you cpuld be right,ill vaucum the computer and check the fans.

7. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

This does occurr with certain versions of Nero 7, do you know which version you are using.