1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Issue - Mointor continues to turn off

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ChaosBeck, Dec 31, 2007.

1. ChaosBeck

ChaosBeck Member

Hello everyone!
    I Haven't post in awhile, but I am having a problem that maybe someone else has run into before? I recently let my brother use my LCD monitor until he could get one for himself (which he did on Boxing Day), but after I got my monitor back, my system has been acting weird. I noticed it right away when I plugged my monitor in; it took about 3 restarts before my screen would actually come on. Then recently it I noticed my screen would shut off for no apparent reason and ultimately... i guess freeze but have no control over my computer.

I narrowed things down to media that affects it... like first I thought it was just my Zune syncing... but then my Zoom player couldn't go over 20 mins of watching video (which makes me angry when I have to review so many DVD products) and today I noticed it wasn't just my Zoom player but Windows Media Player. So right now, it's during anytime when one of those programs is running, my computer pretty much shuts itself off and I'm beginning to think it's my video card. I updated all the firmware and everything... but still not working. (ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro VC)

I know it can be a number of things, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice anyways?

Thank you for your time.

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Try a new monitor but I think it's your video card. I had a similar problem with a ATI 9800 Pro. Any higher end video would make my monitor go off and a couple reboots would get me to the desktop but safemode always worked. I narrowed it down to the video card that died. I replaced it with a Nvidia 5500 and no more problems.

3. ChaosBeck

ChaosBeck Member

Well it definitely isn't the monitor... tried another and didn't work. You may be right though; it may be my video card as, i dunno if this matters but two weeks ago i smelt something funny coming from my computer. It uhh, smelt like solder and now is concerning me whether or not that may be the problem and if a video card can literally melt and still be 1/2 functional.

I noticed that sometimes it doesn't need a media to go down... i sat down on my bed (beside it) and started reading and all of a sudden it went down. This only happened once though... 98% of the time it is when i'm playing a video (Also... today I was playing a movie through a DVD and through my Windows Media Player and it went down frequently... but when i changed to VLC, it didn't go down - but went down on the VLC just a couple minutes ago).

Gah, I hate upgrading my video card because my motherboard only has an AGP slot and I know I want to upgrade in the near future and not many video cards use that format now =( Whatever... as long as it works right? Thanks =)

4. 5couse

5couse Member

I had the exact same problem a while ago, formatting sorted it out, mustve been corrupt drivers or something because it hasnt happened since.