1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer keeps trying to start, tough to get it to come on

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 1slacker1, Jul 9, 2007.

1. 1slacker1

1slacker1 Guest

I have just upgraded my computer, I have an APEVIA X-Dreamer II case , abit an8 32x motherboard, AMD 4200+ 64 X2 processor, 3.5 gb ram, 550 power supply,windows XP Pro.My graphics card is biostar GeForce 7600gt.
    Thanks to your help everything is good but one problem?
    When I start my computer now, it keeps trying to start over and over( lights come on , kinda like a pop, pop, pop ),eventualy it does start and runs fine.Any Ideas...Thanks!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I have this problem with my mediaserver, and I can't explain it, but it takes about 10 seconds to resolve itself, how long does yours take?
    Also, I'd recommend not using 3.5GB RAM, either do it properly with 4GB or go back to 2GB, it'll run better, you'll be very unlikely to need that much RAM yet, and you avoid compatibility errors, which could be causing this.

3. 1slacker1

1slacker1 Guest

Well, I would not have thought it was the ram, but you were right!
    dropped to 2g and its fine.See I had 1.5 and was goind to get another 1g but, got a good deal on 2 stick 1g.but you cant use 3 sticks, has to be 2 or 4 right?.So I guess I will just wait till I get another 1g....My computer can hold 8g so, 4g would do me forever..............Thanks !

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can sometimes use three sticks, but it's not recommended.

5. 1slacker1

1slacker1 Guest

Crap! I spoke to soon because its at it again...I have to unplug it and restart it about 10 times to come on...If not it just keeps poppin....The 2 - 1gb are in the same color slots,brand new 550 power supply, everything was fine till I got that dual processor.It does work with no problems at all , once its running though?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I can tell, the AN8 32X produces an LED error code when things go wrong, can you see if it gives one when this occurs?