1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer locked after trying to up-grade to XP from 98

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by joselepiu, Mar 28, 2007.

1. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

Hi, I have a problem, I tried to up-grade to XP from 98, and I had to travel and forgot about the 30 days, now my computer is locked and somebody toll me that the hard drive is almost full and the processor is too slow for XP.
    All I want is get the files that are in the computer and copy them to a new one that I'm planning to buy.
    Thanks.

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Did you format the drive with the xp setup?

Then you have a problem... If you did an NTFS format of the fat32 drive then with installing xp over it you will probably have lost everything. Most hardware that will run 98 will just about run xp, slowly and with a lot of seeming lockups, but it will run.
    Wait until you get your new pc running with xp on it, then just plug your old hdd in and see what is left on it, or you could try booting from a 98 floppy bootdisk and trying A:/unformat c:
    Which ever route you chose be prepared for a lot of lost data, and what is left will very likely be corrupted.

Post your machine specs.. memory, cpu speed and type (important) sixe of drive, and I'll have a look later.

You can find these details from a live linux disk, or a tool like UBCD
    free from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/