1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer, printer, etc. do not power up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kafka, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

My brother has a problem. A few days ago there was a lightning strike near his house. All the power went off but came on when he turned it on at the box. What did not come on were his computer, modem and printer. He found that if he disconnected the printer from the computer it would power up but as soon as he connected it to the computer it went off. I assume that this would also apply to the modem. Has this anything to do with his computer hard drive?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does the computer power & posts on the monitor with the printer & modem disconnected from computer. are they connected to a power bar & if so then bypass the power bar & direct connect to the wall receptacle to see if powers up & posts.

3. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

The computer does not power up at all. The printer etc. power p if they are not connected to the computer but power down if he plugs them into the computer. He has a power board but the computer does not power up if plugged directly into the wall (the power board seems OK). I will get him to plug the modem directly into wall and see if it powers up and gets wifi.

4. ddp

is he computer tech savy?

5. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

definitely not!

6. ddp

are you?

7. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

Only to a limited extent. I would be reluctant to open up his computer. The little expertise I have is concentrated in software, rather than the mechanical side. Does his problem relate to his hard drive or other mechanical component?

8. ddp

I do not think it is hard drive issue but not certain as I think it is a motherboard or powersupply issue.

9. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

A power surge didn't throw the off and on switch. The fuse in a power supply is usually soldered and unless you're experienced isn't that user serviceable. To replace it he would need to unplug and completely remove the power supply. After that he will have to open the power supply case. locate the fuse, and then test it with an ohm meter to make certain that is the problem. If the ohm meter registers close to zero then the fuse is blow, but if it moves above 1 then it's probably alright. If it turns out the fuse is blown then he will need a soldering iron to remove the fuse, after which he will have to check on the metal side to see what the fuse is rated for, and then he will have to acquire another fuse, solder it in place, reassemble the power supply, return it to computer and then hope that's the problem. It's just not worth the effort if you don't know what you're doing. His best bet is to get someone who is familiar with computer hardware such as a builder, have him or her look at it, then decide what the next step is.

11. ddp

agreed but fuse can also be in a fuse holder as I have seen them.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It's possible, but I've never seen a commercial built that has a user serviceable fuse holder.

13. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I wonder where kalka is on this?