1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Problem....HD? motherboard? what?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hayden58, Dec 22, 2007.

1. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

its my wifes computer, its pretty old, but hey it works. i come home and the monitor says please check connection or whatever on the screen, like the monitor isnt plugged into the computer or something.....so i check it, all plugged in etc.....so im thinking ok maybe the spot on the motherboard is bad, because its not a graphics card its directly on the motherboard....so i go get a graphics card from an other old clunker and put that in the computer its a agp? one. i hook the monitor up to that.....acts like its still not connected to anything....so im thinking well maybe the monitor went bad....i go get another monitor that i know is working, and plug it in.....i try both connection spots, the new monitor acts like its not connected either. now overlooking the whole situation. now in looking at my wireless router and the numer "1" spot is not lit up like my computer isnt even on or something. the comupet looks like its running and on, but is it? could the HD be fried?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you shut off the pc before adding that agp card?

3. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

like 99.9% sure i did, but i can try it again.....what would explain the light not lit up on my wireless router though? this computer is hard wired to #1 and the #1 light isnt lit up.

4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

maybe the motherboard retired? try the hard drive in another system and see if it works. if it does, find a replacement system to put it in.

5. ddp

hayden, if you didn't turnoff the computer before installing the new videocard then most likely fried something like the card, motherboard or both.

6. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

im pretty sure i turned it off first, for fear of getting electrocuted or something.....however, based on the oldness of this computer, i think im just gonna wait and get a new one anyway, unless someone here has some old computer parts they wanna get rid of......its a

amd athalon 900 mhz processor, 128mb ram, (lol this gets funnier the more i realize how old this thing is.)40gb hd, cd burner, and cd rom.

7. ddp

where are you located country wise?

8. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

maine, usa......