1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer recognizes CD-RW as CR-ROM!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by nuriko, Jul 9, 2003.

1. nuriko

nuriko Guest

Please help me here. In an act of goodwill, I gave someone an old cd-rw that I had gotten with my computer (I had installed a DVD+RW/+R drive in its place). He installed it correctly, using the instructions that came with installing new cd drives with his computer. The problem? His computer recognizes the drive as a cd-rom instead. None of his burning or cd making programs recognize the drive, and when he attempts to look at the specs of the drive through "My Computer" on windows, it says its a cd-rom. Please give me some advice I can relay to him! The drive is a Lite-on LTR (2401 2M I think is the drive's model)

Thank you!

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Sounds like a serious defunked hardware configuration m8. Looking from the back of the computer, take the screws off the right side panel. If there are 2 roms on 1 ide channel(Secondary) then be sure that 1 is master(jumper), the other slave(jumper). If 1 rom is on a ide channel then be sure the rom is set to master.If the rom is on the ide channel that the hd is (primary) then set the jumper to slave. if it is a Litey check for the latest firmware update. My advice, you should keep your Litey as these burners are great for backing up pc cd protected games.

Shoey :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2003
  3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hey shoey dude hows it!

good advice on jumpers! and yes!

DONT GIVE LITEONS AWAY !!!!

i got one and love it!

Thx..