1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer resets at the xp loading screen

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jaynecobb, May 2, 2007.

1. jaynecobb

jaynecobb Member

hopefully someone can help with this.

first, this is a hp763n w/ a pentium 4 2.53Ghz/512 ram/80gb hard drive. running xp.

my buddy had comcast come out and install his cable and internet, then 3 days later the computer flopped.

it (meaning the computer) boot up to a screen that basically says: "windows couldn't start normally". then it gives options to start in:
    1. safe mode
    2. safe w/networking
    3. safe w/ command
    4. last known good config
    5. start normally

every time i choose one of the options it goes to the "windows loading" screen and then resets. it just won't advance past this.

i tried the solution that hp gave, which was to hit F10 until the advanced options came up to run a diagnostic, but the system gives me the error "invalid boot.ini file"...booting from c\windows\

any and all help would be greatly appreciated. i know that i am not a regular here in the pc forum, but i do have a some time in the dvd-shrink forum, and i have never had a problem go unsolved thanks to the great people here at afterdawn.

thanks again to all that respond!!!

2. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Either your windows xp you imstalled on your computer isnt genuine or you have a very bad virus. Try putting the disc in that came with the computer sometimes it will fix it for you. if your xp isnt genuine then you have to buy a genuine version of it and reinstall it on the computer.

3. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

3lement, a non-genuine xp won't cause that error.

jaynecobb, is there info on that drive that you need? does the pc at bootup give you the option to do a system recovery by pressing f10 or something like that?

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well for one the Windows install is definetly genuine as it came from a system vendor. Was this the first time your friend has had internet? If so I bet that some type of virus/spyware got onto his/her computer. My logic was this, they just got internet so they didnt have any anti-spyware/virus installed and the spyware/virus in question messed up the boot.ini file.

5. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member