1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer restarts before OS loads

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Red_Maw, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

When I boot up my computer it goes through the initial screen and I can access the bios options then it restarts. If I'm quick I can manage to get into the OS/Bootup selection screen by pressing F8 before the computer restarts itself. Choosing different options, ie safe mode, changes nothing. The bios is detecting all the drives and devices correctly. I believe that someone (a person supposed to fix a previous problem) made it restart in a loop by changis a setting some where but I can't find what they did and reseting the bios settings to default didn't help. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

shot in the dark

try this it worked for me once

hold down insert key (i think) and press power up button it resets defaults to bios...

fingers crossed

secondly i had this with another pc where it was the cmos battery dieing put new in and all ok...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I think I'd take it back to whoever was supposed to fix it and make them do it right.

4. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I can access the bios to make changes and have already tried reseting it to the default settings. I am currently fighting the people who were supposed to fix it come back out and fix what they massed up.

5. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Download Hiren's BootCD *google it, i can't give you a download link, but it is free*, and run the some of the bootfix utilities that are on the disk, like mbrfix and bootfix, see if those help.

6. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

After reading your post I decided to get out an older machine I have that has that exact problem, it got stuck into a loop exactly the same as yours. Ive been playing round with this PC for about an hour going through all settings reseting BIOS etc, it wouldnt even let me re install Windows.
    It turned out to be a faulty RAM card, this computer is OLD so it had 3 64mb PC100 RAM cards in it by removing 2 of them it works perfect (slow but perfect) am about to find out which one is actually causing the problem.

EDIT:After further testing it turns out all the RAM is working ok now that ive reinstalled them, so maybe one of them had a dodgey connection or something. Either way that was what was causing my problem.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

andrew i was thinking the same.

i have just, last week infact, had the same thing happen to me but it was with new hardware. my bios was set mostly to auto but it was setting the ram to timings that were too aggressive for the amount of volts it gave them. took me some time to figure this but anyway.

if you open the case (turn it all off first) and remove all the ram you have, look at the stickers on them and see what timings and volt they will run at (will look like 3-3-3-12 1t 2.6v, the numbers will be different dppending on the ram) note down which ever one has the highest numbers and then go in to your bios and set your ram to that timings.

if that doesnt work try dropping them from 1t to 2t.