1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer restarts everytime i put a blank disk in! help needed PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by JOSh765, Sep 3, 2006.

1. JOSh765

JOSh765 Regular member

Hey,

sorry for starting 2 new threads in 1 after another,
    ( mods please tell me if thats not alowed )

Ok, well my iv had my pc for a while now and its been working fine for a long time.

But now for some reason, evertime i put a blank cd or dvd disk into my D: (drive i use for all my burning) drive the computer after about 5 - 10 seconds will reset itself.

Does anyone know why, and could help?

Thanks alot in advance for any help given.

-Josh

2. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Hmm, I don't know if this will help but, worth trying. :)

Open My Computer > Right click D:\ > Properties > AutoPlay > check box beside "Prompt me each time to choose an action".

3. basilj

basilj Guest

Hi! again, was this before or after you converted your "C" drive to ntfs?

You might want to convert your "D" to ntfs which is a different process. Although I can't offhand think of any reason why this is happening.

4. JOSh765

JOSh765 Regular member

this was happening before i converted my c: drive to ntfs.

ill try what Niobis said and see that helps.

thanks

-Josh

5. basilj

basilj Guest

I'm sorry, I was reading it wrong. You see, I have a C: and a D: hard drive. My burner is the E: drive.

I presume you only have the one hard drive and it's not partitioned!

Edit:- You can't format the disc drive, but you could have a look at a couple of things. Go to disk management and check properties.

Check if the drive is enabled, or try troubleshoot, or even use a system restore, back to when it was working properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2006
  6. JOSh765

JOSh765 Regular member

Ok, thanks alot.

how do i get to disk management do i just right click the disk drive?

btw after my computer has reset itself i can burn to the blank disk i put in the drive. dont know if that helps at all?

-Josh

7. basilj

basilj Guest

JOSh765, I don't really know what's going on with your pc - but it does seem to be behaving oddly! Could even be the weather, my fan was running a lot this afternoon before I went out.

Anyway, right click my computer >manage >disk management, then you will see your drives.

Right click on DVD-Rom drive, or whatever it is called on your pc and click properties. You can see the options there.

Troubleshoot, this is quite a good tool. Roll back driver, or as I said, try a system restore.

Not trying to teach my granny to suck eggs, but, click programs >start >accessories >system >system tools >system restore.

One other thing, restart your computer, and when it beeps or starts up, press and hold F8. You'll see another screen with various options including safe mode etc. Scroll to 'last known good configuration' and press enter. A few things perhaps to try out.

8. LazyWorkr

LazyWorkr Guest

Why not just backup all your data and reinstall your operating system?

9. Niobis

Niobis Active member

@LazyWorkr, that'd be very unecessary. The problem is within the ROM not the OS.

10. LazyWorkr

LazyWorkr Guest

Well when I have tons of problems with my machine, I just backup everything and do a clean install being sure to install all the latest drivers and firmware for my components. It doesn't take that long and is surely easier than trying to fix one problem after another. I don't put much faith in hardware anyway. Especially after having a hard drive full of irreplaceable baby photos and videos almost fry because of a hard drive failure. Sometimes its just easier to backup everything and start over. Not too long ago I also I had problem with a bad video driver restarting my machine periodically. Who knows what it could be? That's just my two cents take it or leave it.

11. basilj

basilj Guest

Lazy Worker is also right in one way, but only if you have the M/S installation disc. I have done it quite a few times on my old pc (just save your favourite progs, pics and music to disc.)

My new go-faster comp. an Acer has it's own recovery program, a brilliant tool. I think JOSh765 problem is one of those small odd things that happen now and again and can just right itself.

Haven't heard from him, perhaps he has just given up and is doing a re-install.

12. JOSh765

JOSh765 Regular member

No i havnt tried the re install.

i aprreciate the help its jsut on im using 750gb harddrive and iv used like 700gb and 99.9% of it is all stuff i want to keep and dont want to have to download again (music , video, games, software) there loads.

and even if i put it all on disks id have to use so many disks.

i dunno, i might have to go take it to the nearest computer shop and see what they have to say.
    (not saying your advice isnt good or anything)

-Josh

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  13. basilj

basilj Guest

hm! you could try clearing out your local files, history and temp folders and the like. Do a defrag, Try CCleaner, can't remember the link, google it.

You could still put all those files on to cd's I only paid a tenner for a 100 discs from Amazon. I suspect there's some even cheaper. (Great for storing photo's) and with programs, you only want the set-up file anyway.

When you've done dvd back-ups, have you emptied your recycle bin? Empty it anyway, because when you send stuff there, it stays on your comp. til' you've emptied it. I would only go to a dealer if I was really desperate, haven't you got a friend or a work colleague who could have a look?

I would try and get those photo's on disc, they take up a lot of space.

14. JOSh765

JOSh765 Regular member

no i dont have anyone who could help me out.

im 14 so i very much doubt i could ask someone i know to help me fix it.

i could ask my dad see if he knows anyone.

-Josh

15. basilj

basilj Guest

Have you tried the troubleshoot in properties? for your drive. There are so many things that could be causing your problems. Have you used the help and support within Windows, click start then help and support. There are many options and one of them is 'fixing a problem'

See if your Dad will cough up for some blank discs. Had another look at Amazon and they have got TDK cd's for £3.50 for 50.

16. JOSh765

JOSh765 Regular member

Ok, ill try everything you just said.

And my dad no doubt would buy disks he buys 100 dvd-r and 100cd-r everytime i run out.

its just if he'll let me start the computer from scratch seen ad though its meant to be his but i took over it becuase i know how to use it better then he does.

he only uses it to listen to Carlisle United Matches ( any1 heard of them ) that he cant go see.

So i dunno ill have to ask my dad when he comes in if we can backup everything and just install windows again.

-Josh

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  17. basilj

basilj Guest

Make sure you've got the installation disc. Good luck!

Carlisle are a good team, ask him if he knows Accrington Stanley.

18. Niobis

Niobis Active member

I don't know about you guys but, I wouldn't like to backup a 750 GB HD. And then have to reinstall all that data back.

Personally, I'd try unpluging the DVD-ROM from the power suppy, wating 30 seconds and pluging it back in, that should reset it.

But hey, it's your HD and your choice.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

19. LazyWorkr

LazyWorkr Guest

Yeah, but it's a good idea to keep your data backed up anyway. Because hard drives do fail. You know.

20. basilj

basilj Guest

I wish I'd thought of that Niobis, I've done it myself with a vcr and pvr. Then again, as LazyWorkr said, it's also a good idea to back up your stuff anyway. I do it all the time, especially photos.

Keeps your hard drive clear and all you need do is get the discs out to view them.