1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer restarts on loading windows

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Hello again, I have built a pc for my parents, out of the parts of my older pc, because although it is old, it is faster than their dell 4600. The only parts I recycled from my parents pc was their old Seagate HDD, and a Creative sound card.

Ok, the problem is that after I connect everything, and power it on, it goes through the normal bios stuff, and after that it tries to load the OS. Every time I turn on the pc, and it gets passed the bios, the screen appears that lets you choose how to boot windows, you know, boot from safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known good configuration, etc. However, after I select any of those, the pc will restart. I have no idea what is wrong. The primary IDE is recognized in the BIOS, so everything is plugged in correctly.

Is there anything I could try?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is that a fresh install of windows on that pc?

3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

nope, it isnt. The thing is that is worked inside the dell pc, but just switched the HDD and now it doesnt. The HDD has 2 partitions on it, 1 backup and 1 main. I do not have the installer disk for the OS, so I cannot reformat.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i presume that is either win2k or xp? if chipset of your board is different from their old board then xp is barfing. windows has to be reloaded from scratch as to much hardware change for windows to handle.

5. jony218

jony218 Guest

my advice is to download the demo of "paragon justboot corrector" , it comes in a self burning file (but unrar it instead and burn with nero). Now use cd to boot up the computer, look at you system partition drive letters. Your system drive letter needs to be c: drive. If it's anything else than that's probably your problem.
    With windows xp, when a hard drive boots up in an unfamiliar computer, sometimes the drive letters will change around causing the computer not to boot. Example the cdrom will be labeled c: instead of d: drive etc. A simple drive letter change will usually fix it back up.

demo here
    http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/JustBoot_Boot_Corrector_38938_p/