1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer shut off

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by koco12, Mar 8, 2005.

1. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

Sounds to me like you are a bit screwed. Sorry i can't help.

2. koco12

koco12 Member

Yeah i know...thank any way.

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

koco12

As we grasp for straws now... Try taking out the battery on the MB and then put back in to reset the cmos. Have your original Graphics card on the MB then try it one more time, and when you get a screen, try hitting the pause button, just to see if it stays on or can hold without shutting off. If it does, then you at least know that it’s not the PSU.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  4. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Yeah, I'll agree...probably the power supply.

5. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Let me recap real quick.. All Is fine until you replace the Vid with another. Afterwich the system shuts off between 30 seconds and 5 min. Putting the old card back in does not fix the problem. Removing all hardware, including processor, buys you up to 10 minutes. After takeing your memory out to test and putting it back in you now stay on for only 30 seconds.

To me it seems when you mess with the hardware on the system you get a different result in how long your system will stay on. Now it could be the power supply but the power supply does not care about hardware. There are only two things left that do. The MB and the processor. (based on what has been written here).

So here is what I say. It could be one of the three. Here is whati think in order of probability. 1)MB is bad 2)power supply 3)Processor. This does not mean Im correct but is whatI feel based on the scenario.

If you turn it on and only see a fan twitch and thats it then 100% MB. Parts are needed to help. So you can try out theese theories. But if you do need a MB then make sure it has a very similar set up as the current MB. Also contact ASUS about the three year warrenty.

-del

6. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

One more suggestion. Can you get your hands on a POST card?? Power on self test PCI card; once you intall it, it is very cool. It will beep at boot up, during power on self test. You will then match up the beeps with a user manual and it will point you to your problem; mobo issue, psu, etc. etc.. It's worth a try.....see if you can locate one from one of your buddy's. If not, they are less than 100 bucks and a great investment in my opinion. Any one else agree??

good luck, keep us posted.

ps: Did event viewer log show you any hints on any problems??

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

post card is good as i use 1 but for that price & maybe 1 time use not worth it

8. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Good point.

Also, forgot to tell you that it reports on mobo and bios errors only; not power supply related issue. But, never fear, there is PSU tester out there somewhere. I just haven't bought one or got my measly hands on one of those yet. ... hadn't really needed it, yet.

9. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Twenty bucks says your power supply can't handle the new card. Get a new 500-600 watt. You might think its over kill but considering how cheap they are I would. do a search on pricewatch.com you can get them for around 30.00 us

10. ddp

Starbuck1, my post card has digital readout plus 4 leds for voltages but does not beep

11. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Ddp, what? no beeps?? Check out this piece of doco from this website:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

I haven't bought a POST card yet. But, I am shopping around for one and will get one soon, after I get my new Sony Playstation 2. DOH! ...

Which one did you purchase?? Do you like it??

12. ddp

when it has digital read outs don't need beep codes especially if no cpu activity

13. koco12

koco12 Member

It was the power supply. I changed it.......work like a new one. Thanks everybody for your help.

14. ddp

no problem, teach & learn

15. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

I knew it the second you posted this. I have been there before with that issue. Just get the biggest power supply you can. That will do it. 600 watt baby! lol