1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer shuting down

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by akwon19, Apr 12, 2005.

1. akwon19

akwon19 Member

my computer keeps shuting down while i'm using it.
    out of no where the computer will restart.
    i thought my motherboard had a problem so i got a new one
    but that wasn't the problem.
    does anyone know what i can do to fix this problem?
    i even bought a new power supply. 450watt so i don't think its that either.

thanks

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is there a certain length of time before that happens, does it do it in safe mode??

3. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Do you ever OverClock?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

There are multiple answers to this problem. The first place to look is in the system log. Look for any red circles. Particularly ones that have to do with DISK. Look there to see if anything is getting logged. Chances are there isnt but is helpfull if there are. RT click MY computer\manage\event viewer\system.

Also take a look at your running processes. CTRL-ALT-DEL then processes tab. SVCHOST.exe is normal to run more than once. You can either list then here or do a HIJACKTHIS log. The log will be long and I don't know if they like those posted here. Install and update Spybot and Adaware. Run those in safe mode. All this is to rule out Spyware causeing your shutdowns. Don't forget Anti virus. Update yours and run in safe mode.

Think very hard to last thing done to the computer before it started this problem.

Hopefully some of this will help
    -Del

5. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

check system properties; startup and recovery; look at system failure. do you have automatically restart checked in the event of a system failure?? let us know. another point to ponder.

6. akwon19

akwon19 Member

this happens various times.
    usually happens when i try to open up programs.
    i didn't over clock my computer

7. gizmobob

gizmobob Member

I've seen this happen a few times... usually, the culprit was a grounding problem with the Motherboard. Remove the hold-down screws from the MB and remove those little cardboard washers. Some motherboards require that you ground certain parts of the MB to the case. There is a reason why the motherboard manufacturer puts solder around the hole where the screw goes into. You can also check all your connections to your drives and MB. I really believe that this is a Hardware issue, not software. Re-seat your Cards and reconnect your RAM and CPU.

-Bob