1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer shuts down.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dashley45, Apr 15, 2007.

1. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

Hi 300Bowler
    Yes, the computer only shuts down when I try and rip the movie. I cant get passed this point. I downloaded a program to chech the CPU for 30 mins and it came back fine. I have also used the windows task manager to watch when I have tried to do the ripping and nothing seems out of the ordanary there.
    Bobby728
    Yes it is fairly new, but the Windows XP Home I bought from a friend, it is a legal product.
    I have called the people I bought the computer from and told them of the problem. The fella in their technical department said he knew what the problem was, but could'nt tell me becuase he said what I was trying to do was considered piracy.

2. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

I have just tried again to check the Temp od both the CPU and Motherboard while trying to rip. The CPU was 30 and the Motherboard was 34. I did this using Everest Ultimate.

3. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

If anyone has the time and would like to try and chat about this problem direct, my MSN Addy is vinoman@hotmail.co.uk
    Many thanks

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

When you say rip do you mean Encode/transcode, that is the part after you hit the backup button, which is the most intensive part of using the CPU.

did you not moniter the CPU temp when using dvd Shrink?
    your CPU shouldn't come close to overheating when your running any other program that is not encoding/transcoding.

Dl this program, SPEEDFAN and install it
    Have it running when you use shrink and see if the CPU temp goes up
    if this program hasn't changed too much from the older version the CPU temp#2 should be the temp for the CPU

AS far as CPU overheating you cant tell from looking at the task manager, you should see your PF usage go up when using shrink and the CPU usage should be around 100%

edit
    maybe you should still try what i said with Speedfan, and if that doesn't go up maybe your Power supply is not working correctly

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  5. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

Thanks 300Bowler
    I have used the temp test and as stated, it stays at 30 degrees. When using shrink, the computer shuts down after I hit the backup ikon after about 3-5 mins. This is when I was watching the CPU Temp.
    Is there a program out there that can tell me the powerpack usage and if it is working correctly?
    Thanks

6. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Dash, what is the movie? In the future dont talk to microsoft about this kind of thing unless you are copying a dvd you made. Have you tried other movies. Have you re-installed the programs. Have you tried to do this on another pc? Are there any other multi-media cd/dvd burning software that came with your new pc. Try other movies. If this continues you may want to consider slysoft products. YOu said you got this Xp from someone and its legal.Get rid of everything that came with the pc except nero ofcourse. This almost doesnt make sense. I take it dvd decrypter runs fine? You try it with shrink and the PC actually shuts down???

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2007
  7. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

Hi Bahgee
    I havent spoken to microsoft about this, and I have tried many different DVD'S and some movies I downloaded from the net. The XP I am using is a new program. As I said earlier, I have tried to uninstall and reload the software programs aswell.

Thanks

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

dashley45
    Read over the whole post first, then go back and answer the questions and run the tests I suggested. Once done post the answers and results. No need to be bouncing from one topic to another. The possibilities are limited, but you can spend a lot of time trying different things. First up you need to eliminate system failure. I pointed out how. Use the Microsoft Validate and we'll know if all is okay with the XP. If okay, did you do all the updates? Shrink is a solid program, not prone to malfunction. So read on and let me know what you come up with.

That "I know but I can't tell you because it's illegal" line gets the tech guy off the hook whether he knows or not. By the time you get to Backup, the files should have been stripped of any encryption and copy protection. At that point they are no different than home movies people create. Tell the guy in the tech department you were putting together some home movies and you needed to transcode them to fit to a DVD5. That is legal and it includes the problem. I suspect someone will tell you something when you tell them you want your money back because the system won't run a simple program like Nero Recode.

I read this thread and gleaned only a bit of information about the PC. What brand and model is it? Laptop or desktop? CPU, RAM - total amount and amount free (taskmanager), hard drive(s) size and freespace. What is the drive configuration? What was the original operating system on the PC? When you run validation, what does Microsoft say? http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FailureScenarios.aspx?displaylang=en

Follow Bowler's suggestion and use Speedfan. If for no other reason than to crosscheck the Everest readings. 30C CPU and 34C mobo are idle temps. Most CPUs will hit the 40C range or close to it when transcoding and the mobo will creep up a bit. So those temps aren't right for a working PC under load.

I've been involved with PCs for a few days and became familiar with Shrink a couple days earlier. ;) The program is sound and went through more beta testing than most retail software. Over the years it's proven to be stable except with the new Vista OS. It was written before Vista was Longhorn or whatever. I've not tried Vista, but I hear it has an XP compatibility feature. Like I said I'm not sure on that one. But, you're supposed to be running a legal version of XP with SP2. You do have the SP2 pack loaded don't you? What I do know is that Shrink is stable. That limits the possibilities here. Software interference, which would be rare, because the program is stopping midway. At this point it has nothing to do with the optical drives if you ripped your source files to the hard drive. If you didn't try it to confirm this. System failure can be checked by using one of the load test programs used by overclockers. OCCT and Orthos are a couple of good ones. OCCT has an easier interface or looks so to me. I'm not going to get into a discussion of which is best here. Either will load the system for this job. I suggest OCCT. Load the system for an hour and record the temps, at start and at 15 minute intervals. Corrupted software might cause the problem, but with it happening with so many programs, it has we wondering. Deleting and reinstalling the programs usually solves this issue, that is if the source is okay. You can click Here for a pack of software (all freeware) that will get the job done in normal circumstances. If your XP operating system is working properly and the hardware isn't breaking down, this software gets the job done. Like I said, I've been doing this for a few days and it works with Sony, Lionsgate and the other harder to do releases. Some of the software you should find familiar. Delete all the backup software you have on the system before getting started (including anything like Nero or any of it's programs) and then install from the package as needed. If this fails you have only system and hardware (OCCT should have eliminated or confirmed hardware) to look at.

Before you go further you may want to download and use the DVDFab Platinum from http://www.dvdidle.com . It is supposed to be compatible, even with Vista. It's a self contained program that does it all. Try this after you've deleted all the backup software. The software I suggested should be okay to leave on if you do that first. They don't interfere with anything as long as you have them turned off.

9. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

My Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen

I wish to thank you one and all for the help and suport you have all given me with regards to my problem. I HAVE SORTED IT. Tahnks to all of you.
    It was the Temp of my CPU. I have just ripped and burnt a DVD and the temp didnt go over 54, maybe still a little high, but it worked. I will go and buy a bigger and better fan.
    Once again MANY THANKS for the help. I am in your debt.
    Mike

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You got it right, that is a high CPU temp. Better cooling is definitely needed. Glad to see you got it sorted out. BTW, you're welcome.

11. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

also,
    its always good to clean out all the dust in the PC every once in awhile too.