1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer shuts off ONLY on games.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Phantome1, May 20, 2012.

1. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

My computer runs perfectly fine when im doing anything OTHER then games. When I play games such as League of Legends or Mass Effect it will shut down my entire computer at random times, I then have to unplug the cable from the back of the PS for about 8 seconds or else the computer will not turn back on. Once it restarts, if i jump back into the game sometimes it will restart after about another min or sometimes it wont restart for the rest of the night. I have ran multiple stress tests on both my CPU and GPU and while both temps seemed to get a little high, neither of them after 15 min shut down my computer. Its ONLY when I play games. I have tried replacing the actual cable that plugs into my PS and got no results. The only other thing I can think to add is I just installed a new video card before it never did this however before I was just using my on-board graphics to play LOL at very low FPS. Is my power supply getting bad??

SPECS:
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    4 GB of Ram
    500 GB HDD
    GTX 285 GPU
    610w Kingwin Power Supply
    Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Mother Board
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if only happened after new videocard went in, it could be the card itself or the psu cannot handle the card. try the card in another pc if possible to see if problem continues or not & also try another psu in current pc to see what happens.

3. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

get a bigger heavier psu the graphics are trying to suck too much power and screwing the psu up

4. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

I believe that my video card is recommended to have at least a 550 and I have a 610. However it is an older PS???