1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Shutting Down Problem

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by tl2e3le4f, Apr 1, 2007.

1. tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f Member

Recently when I have been playing the latest games that require a lot of cpu power, my computer shuts down automatically while I am playing without warning. This didn't happen before about a year ago when I just got my computer even though I played games like Oblivion which takes a lot. Could it be overheating because of dust or maybe the fans? Can you guys give me some suggestions on what to do? Thanks!

2. DoubleDwn

DoubleDwn Regular member

Definately sounds like an overheating issue. Open the case and blow out the dust built up in the CPU heatsink. Also make a point to dust out the heatsink/fan on your graphics card.

Good luck and post back what happened.

~Rich

3. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

If you have an ati video card, you can download atitools. This lets you control the speed of the fans in your computer. I had the same problem with an old pc, but I turned the cpu fan to full blast when I played games and I have had no problems since :)

4. tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f Member

hey thanks guys. but i found out it wasnt a dust problem. i dont have an ati card so i got speedfan. i checked and my cpu temp was like 50 C when i was doing nothing. and it went up to the 60s and 70s when i was playing games. i think that could be why its shutting down. and i cant control the fan speed with speedfan cause it doesnt work. need help :[

5. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You don't need help, you need either more fans, or better fans to replace the current ones you have.

6. tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f Member

oh i think i fixed the fans. i went into my bios to make the speeds max out. but still whens its maxed out its only at 3500 rpm. at least it doesnt shut down while im playing.. or not yet. how fast are your guys fans?

7. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Mine never go over 2000 RPM, and my overal system temperature rarely goes over 35°C...
    Then again, i use 3 Zalman fans, and water coolers for my HD's...

8. tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f Member

lol my little fan that came with it is pumping out its max and my temp still goes up to 60s.

9. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

That's a bit too high, you really should get some better fans.