1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Starts Up Then Quickly Resets

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by DynoO, Feb 21, 2005.

1. DynoO

DynoO Member

I installed a new motherboard today and i plugged everything in properly triple checked everything, the heatsink on the motherboard is hooked up right and the whole computer is dust free but when i hit the power button the CPU fan and my other fans start spinning but like 2 seconds later everything turns off the computer turns right off not reset like the topic says. i think it maybe my power supply i only have a 300w power supply running a AMD 3200+, DVD-RW, DVD Drive, ATI 9550 Graphics Card, 512 Ram And a 80 and 40 Gig HD. If It WOnt Be The Power SUpply What Else could It Be. Any Help Would Be nice thanks :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect all cables from drives, remove all cards & ram except video card & 1 stick of ram. reseat the videocard, the 1 stick of ram & the motherboard power connector(s). also check that the cmos jumper is in correct position as been known to be in wrong position. power up system to see what happens. if still shuuting down, remove motherboard from case & isolate it from case so as to use psu. if possible try another psu

3. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

more than likely its your power supply....i fixed a friend of mines computer who had pretty much the same problem..his power supply was going bad.....but also, have you checked your BIOS to see if you have power savings mode on, and your hard disk on a timer....check those as well... and if anything else, reset your CMOS...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2005
  4. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

I had a problem just like this, make sure that it is grounded properly, that was the trouble with mine.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

It does sound like your PSU since you state that it happens within 2 seconds of startup which is not enough time to actually get into any device or boot issues. Or like ddp states, get that board out of the case to make sure it isn’t a grounding issue.

6. DynoO

DynoO Member

thanks for eveyrhint it was the power supply peice of crap 300w

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Hey DynoO,

Good luck with your new build! :)