1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer still recognises prog after removing then reinstalling

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pufff, Aug 30, 2004.

1. pufff

pufff Member

I recently put in mcafee virus/firewall.It wont let me do anything cuz I forgot the password.I tried unistall than reinstall but it still recognises me.I also deleted any folders that were related to the program.It still wants the old password.Ive also had a prob with the dj mixstation prog doing the same thing.Does this have anything to do with cookies?? Any help would be much appreciated.thanks!!

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Hello poof,
    When you install a program it makes entries in the computers registry. These entries tend to stay there even when you uninstall the program so it will still remember some of the settings, passwords etc.

You can edit the registry and remove them but it's a risky business as making a little mistake can render your computer useless.

Messing with the registry is way over my head but hang on, I'm sure someone will explain in detail soon.

3. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Get a registry cleaner program such as registry mechanic or tune up utilities and run the automatic registry clean up, this will delete any registry's that are not being used by any programs. Whne you have done this reinstall the program and you should have a clean install.

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  5. pufff

pufff Member

Thanks everyone.I will give it a go.I will get back tomorrow to let u know how I got on.