1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COMPUTER - WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SP2 - DEP MESSAGE

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by vitus, Aug 7, 2007.

1. vitus

vitus Member

Intel Celeron 2.66 Ghz CPU windows XP Professional SP2. Unable play any media (movies etc)especially AVI files. As soon as I click the file (right click or left click), I get the following MESSAGE warning QUOTE " DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION. - TO HELP PROTECT YOUR COMPUTER, WINDOWS HAS CLOSED THIS PROGRAMME. NAME WINDOWS EXPLORER FOLLOWED BY A CAPTION 'CLOSE MESSAGE. After clicking the close message caption, the standard message comes up viz., Windows Explorer has encountered a problem ----- etc" my SECURITY CENTRE is working well. All the 3 are indicating ON. Anti Virus (avg & Avast) uptodate. Also have Spybot & Advanced Window care personal V2 personal installed & carryout regular checks. Pls advise soonest. Thanks & regards. VITUS.

2. 56delray

56delray Regular member

How to fix your PC.
    Lesson 1
    Take the error message and xp and run a net search.
    In this case it would be "DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION xp"
    One of the top ten returns would be the following.

http://www.updatexp.com/data-execution-prevention.htmlt

If the DEP is on, there may be a problem with the AVI files.
    Are they downloaded.
    Go to a site that can be trusted and try thier files.
    What player are using to play the files.

3. vitus

vitus Member

Hi,
    Thanks for ur help. The prob is with WINDOWS EXPLORER. But as of today, everything is ok after downloading the KM PLAYER. I can disable DEP from the System control but don't want to take a chance. Thanks and regards. Vitus.