1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer wont allow me to share

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Adamc2326, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hi All

I hope someone can help

I have connected my Xbox 360 to my laptop via the Ethernet cable wishing to share music etc with it. I am using windows media player 11 to do this the problem I have is every time I try to set up sharing in windows media player my computer will freeze for about 30 seconds and that’s it?

I have tried to uninstall windows media player and reinstalling it but it just won’t allow me to select the sharing option?

Any ideas would be a great help

Thanks

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I am aware of the following, but have never tried the sharing thing. See if this does anything for you.

Open "My Computer" - right click on the "C" drive - select "Properites". There is a Sharing tab there. Click on it and follow any dialog(s) you find.

May help - may not.

3. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Thanks for the speedy reply I run the sharing setup but still no difference Im afraid excatly the same thing I hit share my media in windows media player it freezes then thats it

:-(

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Guess it was worth a try. Like I said, never did the share thing. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Good luck.

5. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Anyone else have any ideas please!!!

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

What kind of NIC cable are you using? If it's a straight thru cable, I'm not sure that will work. Might have to use a crossover cable...or possibly a router to assign the XBox an IP.

You might want to ask this in the XBox forums...or even a quick Google "sharing files with xbox".

7. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

I am using a straight through ethernet cable supplied with the xbox, it use to work on my old laptop brought a new one and now I can not share.

Adam

8. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

The straight thru cable is used to connect the XBox to a router...a direct connection with a computer should use the crossover cable.

9. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

The cable I am using is fine

Okay, I've found a fix that works for me.

Make sure you are on an administrator account.

Press Start
    Right Click on "My Computer"
    Choose "Manage" from the context menu.
    When the Computer Management console appears click on the Services and Applications icon in the left hand pane, and then the Services icon that appears as a child directory.

In the right hand pane do the following for both the "Universal Plug and Play Device Host service and the SSDP Discovery Service:

Double Click on the service.
    Ensure that Startup Type is set to "Automatic"
    Choose the "Log On" tab in the services properties dialog
    Choose the "This Account" radio button in the "Log on as:" section.
    Type "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService" without quotes in the text box.
    Don't change anything in either of the password fields. If it requests that you change the password, clear the field.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem!!

10. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

DOH!!

Yeah....when most people have followed the tweaks from dozens of sites on getting XP to run faster...these services were on the list of first being to go. Most people don't use UPnP..or require SSDP to be running.

These are essential for non computer, PnP devices.

There is another tweak, the 8dot3 extension creation in the registry that most people don't need either. But some programs, like Motorola Phone Tools needs this reg key to be enabled, not disabled, in order to install. And, that program is fairly new. (a godsend to those with the Motorola phones that don't want to pay out the wazoo for ringtones and grapics)

One of the most argued aspect of changing your services, is to create a copy of your original hardware profile first. Leave it...and login using the second one. That one you can disable services...should you run into issues, simply reboot, login to your original profile and try again. You'll know if it was a service that prevented the action(s).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007