1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer wont turn on - New Psu

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by sparky513, Aug 9, 2011.

1. sparky513

sparky513 Member

Hi, my computer wont turn on with my new psu so basically i had an a 620watt in the computer and then i got a 850watt to replace the 620. When i installed the new 850watt psu the computer booted for about a second and then it wouldn't turn on at all after that and still doesn't turn on. I would be grateful of any sort of help and would appreciate an experts opinion. If you need any details about the computer just ask and i will post the details.

2. wcampbell

wcampbell Member

I have the same problem. I got a new board, a new power supply, new ram,and a new processer,and nothing happened.I work in my basement. Seeing the parts were too expinsive to buy all at once, some things sat down there a couple of month as I gathered funds for the parts. I'm thinking oxidation on micro switches. Don't know?

If someone figures it out let me know, I've got more than one rigg with this problem.
    Wm. T.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sparky513, check the silver top cans on the motherboard which are capacitors that none or domed or leaking brown stuff. did you connect the 2nd connector(usually a square 4 pin connector) from psu to motherboard?

wcampbell, start your own thread about your problem as hijacking another member's thread is a forum rule no no.

4. sparky513

sparky513 Member

I will have to check the motherboard for leaking ddp, yep i have connected the 4 pin connector from psu to motherboard, i still haven't tried the old psu but as the 850watt is new i can't see the new psu being the problem. Also i have suspicion that i have to reset the cmos of the motherboard should i clear that and replace the motherboard battery or if you have any other suggestions i would like that. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  5. wcampbell

wcampbell Member

Same problem, same thread why not?

6. sparky513

sparky513 Member

7. ddp

wcampbell, as what sparky513 said & that is what the forum rules say.

sparky513, can try clearing the cmos but if nothing spinning as in fans or hard drive then won't work as there is an electrical short.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  8. sparky513

sparky513 Member

Well earlier i plugged the new psu into an old computer and it started working i have even tested the psu by short circuiting the green wire and any of the black wires and that also worked. Another thing i have done is i put my not so old 620w into my working pc and it worked no problem so i know the mobo isn't fried thankfully, i will try the new psu in my new computer again because it has worked with the older pc as i said, i will update if it works thanks for the replies ddp.

9. ddp

disconnect all cables to drives. reseat all cards & ram after connecting new psu but before attaching power cord.

10. sparky513

sparky513 Member

11. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

what we are looking for is beeps.. pull everything except cpu and power supply.. apply power and it should start making a lot of noise.. add ram one stick at a time.. followed by cards.. everything one at a time.. then drives.. as soon as things go silent then theres your faulty bit :)

12. sparky513

sparky513 Member

Thanks for the replies guys i got my pc working about 30 mins ago when i turn it on there is 1 beep i know this is to indicate a successful boot and i also got a graphics card, really happy. :)

13. ddp

so what was causing the problem so that others will know?

14. sparky513

sparky513 Member

The 20+4 psu power connected was not seated in properly.