1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer won't turn on

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by nommyynom, May 31, 2009.

1. nommyynom

nommyynom Member

Okay guys, i decided to refurbish my old computer by only using various parts of my old computer which include:
    1 x MSI N1996 Motherboard
    1 x 1.6Ghz Processor

The parts which i have used for the new refurbishment of my computer are also as follows:
    1 x X-Power 580w PSU with a green LED
    1 x Kingston 2Gb RAM
    1 x Sony NEC DVD-R DL Writer
    1 x X-Case Amera CPU Case
    1 x Netgear 54mbps WiFi PCI card

Okay i have attached everything to the case and it has all fitted like a glove. The only problem is: NOTHING WILL TURN ON!

Everything is connected except for the front panel cables which are for the front USB & audio ports and various ports which activate the HDD LED and the Power LED and also this includes the Power Switch.
    This is where the problem begins. I have tried numerous combinations of inserting each of the cables for the power switch into the pin thinggies on the motherboard but none seem to activate the power switch to turn on the power supply.

I know there must be some power going into the power supply and into the motherboard because when i do turn on the switch at the back of the Power Supply Unit and the lights just above the ethernet switch will literally blink and a quiet humming noise will come from either the motherboard or the PSU (i can't tell).

So thats pretty much everything there is to say.
    Any help guyss? any help is really appreciated, im at a dead end heree ;/
    thannks! xo

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the actual model# on the motherboard as N1996 is not it? this will be printed in white on the motherboard usually by the agp slot.

3. dailun

dailun Active member

First, n1996 is not the model number. MSI boards are labeled MS-xxxx. The model number is normally written in white somewhere near the PCI Slots area, and/or on a sticker on the rear side.

4. Knuck1ez

Knuck1ez Regular member

If the Motherboard and processro worked before you tried to refurbish its probably the psu. That PSU is pretty cheap. You should a better quality psu like a corsair 400w or antec 380w. It could be your motherboard. There might be a short somewhere causing light to come on and fans to spin but no POST. Happened to me once. Dont know if it was the motherboard or the PSU.... I replaced both.

5. nommyynom

nommyynom Member

ah! okies guys you were a big help!
    after finding the serial number of my board, i was able to stumble upon this site: http://www.datasheet4u.com/html/M/S/-/MS-7255_MSI.pdf.html
    and found out where the power sw went :]]

oh sorry let me just jump to the bullet on this one..
    i've installed linux on my computer, but when i insert the disc to install my netgear 54mbps Wifi PCI card, it will not install but it detects the disc is in there ;/

anyway of actually forcing it to install on linux mint? ;0
    thannks again!

6. ddp

7. nommyynom

nommyynom Member

oo mines the WG311 in that link!
    where do i find the linux drivers for it? :)

8. ddp

9. nommyynom

nommyynom Member

oo the WG311v3 ;D

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For reference, the quiet hum would be from the PSU if the PC was switched off at the time. Like Knucklez, I would strongly advise you to replace that PSU as soon as possible, as it will probably go bang in a few months' time and destroy all the components plugged into it.

11. nommyynom

nommyynom Member

well when i mean "hum" it was barely noticeable at all.
    ahaa.

It was only when i had put my ear close to the computer to hear for anything could i hear it then; and still then it was seriously quiet.
    I mean its only 580W

surely it cannot cause any harm...

right?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

When you see a hard disk with 200GB of your data burst into flames in front of your eyes, you take precautions. It does happen. It can happen. If you keep that PSU, it probably will.

13. nommyynom

nommyynom Member

why WILL it happen? :S
    what PSU should i get to prevent this then?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

a) because poorly made electronics eventually fail, and when they do the lack of intelligent design inside all cheap PSUs results in that huge mains voltage pretty much coming straight through to your components.
    b) One that actually costs more than a snack. A Corsair CX 400W unit will be ample for that PC.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

True that. A quality PSU is the basis of any system. Using a bad quality PSU is like using weather-checked tires on a car. Chances are they won't fail today. But when they do you'll be going 65mph down the highway and flip your car into oncoming traffic. Same with a PSU. I too have seen the nice little bonfires they can make out of your system. Oddly enough, motherboards seem to be flammable to a degree.

Haha you made me lol.

16. david94

david94 Regular member

ok,
    so iv bean making a custom made pc and i have the parts like the cpu, mb, ram, psu, fans ect. i need some other parts to finish it, but i try and turn it on (making sure that all the cables are connected and that the parts are all plugged in) nothing will move or make a noise.do i need to get all the parts (like the graphics card and hard drive) plus some other parts to make the system even turn on.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, not all PC parts make a noise, but as long as you have a motherboard and the PSU hooked up properly, if you've got some case fans plugged in, turning on the PC will still make those go round, even though the PC won't actually do anything. Hooked up the power switch and the ATX connector properly?

18. david94

david94 Regular member

ye i had just installed a new more powerful PSU and the side of the case was still open when i tried this but nothing moved at all, not even a little beep as most motherboards do.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You won't get a beep with no CPU installed, but the fans should still move - once again, have you hooked up the power switch correctly?

20. david94

david94 Regular member

ye i have