1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configuring settings when converting to AVI (DivX codec)

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by firas123, Jun 17, 2007.

1. firas123

firas123 Member

Hi all
    Note 1: sorry for my bad English
    Note 2” I really tried to find a solution for this but I don’t know why nobody is mentioning it

I have a Sony DivX certified DVD Player, and it can play DivX/Xvid files (in avi container), so obviously I want to convert all my video files so I can play them on it.
    I’ll give you a clear example for my problem
    Lets say that I have this file:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I want ti convert it to avi (DivX) using TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress
    so I’ll choose an AVI output format
    then DivX video codec (wich is DivX 6.6.1) and mp3 for the Audio

[​IMG]

now I want to configure settings so the target file matches the source file (picture size and quality)
    it’s obvious that the video size should be 352*240 like the original
    other settings like aspect ratio is no problem for me
    but the problem is in the bitrate!!!!!!!!!
    As far as I know, the bitrate for the source file is 1151 kbps (and its MPEG-1)
    If I didn’t play with any of the divX settings

[​IMG]

the output file will be like this

[​IMG]

so the size dropped from 588 to 392 MB
    and the bitrate for the AVI divX file is 702 kbps
    is this OK????????
    or should I put the same bitrate like the source file manually like this

[​IMG]

thank you

2. firas123

firas123 Member

I want to add
    Concerning converting toDivx/Xvid the aspect ratio doesn’t matter because they don’t have any aspect ratio, so we should resize the video if we want to watch it on TV (4:3 screen for example)so it wouldn’t look stretched

Concerning the main question about setting the bitrate
    I know how to use the calculator to set a bitrate when I want a specific size for the file (like if I wanted the output file size to be 695 b I can know how to set the bitrate)
    But how can I set a bitrate that doesn’t depend on a file size, but depends on the quality… I mean how to set a bitrate that ensures me that I didn’t lose any quality and at the same time that I didn’t set extra bitrate that will increase the output file size without having a better quality

3. firas123

firas123 Member

quote:
    Profiles are pre-programmed settings for the DivX codec that conform to standards set by DivX.com, hence ensuring maximum compatibility with DivX devices. This will make sure your encoded video files are compatible with DivX enabled devices that are available on the market (like standard DVD/DivX players). By turning certification off, the risk is that the file you have encoded will not playback properly on certified DivX devices, and can only be avoided if you knew exactly which settings are supported and not supported by specific certified devices.

so I think its better to select home theater, but if I choose it i will not be able to configure settings, only change the preset and I don't have any idea what preset 3 or 4 or 5 means